Friday, July 10, 2009

What a waste

Philippians 3:3-12

After being away at college, I early one morning I went out to feed our family’s donkey, Chiquita. After feeding her and playing with her for a little while, I decided to ride her, since it had been several months since I had done so. We rarely needed a bridle or saddle, and since I hadn‘t had breakfast yet, and wasn’t planning on going outside the pasture, I didn’t want to take the time to get them out.

Gripping her mane, I hopped to get onto her back just as I had done many times before. Apparently still feeling playful, she stepped toward me and I fell ignominiously off the other side. It was embarrassing. I got back on and rode Chiquita for a few minutes, then went in for breakfast. Mom had been watching out the window and teased me about not even being able to get on such a small donkey.

So often we have such confidence in our own abilities and efforts that we are shocked when they fail to produce the expected results. Circumcision served to identify Israel as believers and recipients of God’s promises, just as baptism does for Christians. The promises were made to Abraham before his circumcision. They were made on the basis of his faith, according to Genesis 15:6, “And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.” As Christians, we receive them the same way, and do not place our confidence in our own efforts.

“For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.” (Philippians 3:3-6)

If there was ever anyone who deserved to go to heaven, it was Paul. He had been circumcised the eighth day. This is the same as if he’d been baptized as a baby. He was born into a God fearing nation, in a very religious family. He had become involved with the strictest and most dedicated religious group. He had gone beyond most of those in that group in his dedication, never having broken any of their standards, rigorously attacking those who did not have similar beliefs. He had every reason to believe he had earned a place in heaven. It makes his next comments shocking.

But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:7-12)

All the things that would appear to insure his salvation, Paul says were a total loss. They were completely worthless and holding on to them interfered with receiving what Christ offered. They were of no more value than his own body waste in being a Christian. They had to be gotten rid of in order to make place for what Christ offered, much like getting rid of an old couch to make room for a new one, especially for someone who lives in a small apartment. Until the old one is removed, there is no place to put the new one, and if you set it on top of the old one, you won’t be able to use either one.

By disposing of his own goodness, Paul could receive God’s. This would then enable him to understand the things Christ offered, and become what God had intended when he came to Christ, and ultimately to be resurrected to eternal life. His earlier efforts had not produced that result, and it would be necessary for Paul to continue to learn and grow, even at the point he had reached when this letter was written.

No comments:

Post a Comment