Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What is footwashing about?

I just saw a photo that was taken of the only foot washing ceremony I have ever attended, although I know that several churches practice them regularly. What is it all about? To understand, we need to look at the subject first from a historical perspective.

In Jesus day, most people wore sandals. They did not have cars and so rarely rode anywhere. Their feet got dirty as a result. It was common courtesy to wash your guests feet, indicating an interest in their wellbeing, and that they were welcome to stay. Failure to do so indicated the opposite.

Luke 7: 36-47 tells of one instance, in which the person who invited him home was disrespectful and did not exercise this common courtesy, but judged one who did. "And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.

Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.

There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?

Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.

And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little."

The woman who was so looked down upon, demonstrated more respec for Christ than the person who invited him to lunch. She went beyond the standard, even though it was not her responsibility. Normally a minor servant would have been assigned to do the job. The Pharisee didn't wash Jesus' feet himself, nor did he have one of his servants do so. It implies he had little regard for Jesus, but wanted people to notice that he had Jesus to lunch.

John 13:1-17 gives the Christ's teaching on foot washing. "Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end. And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him; Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter. Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all. For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."


The teaching here is not of a ceremonial action, put of a respect and concern for others that is willing to humble itself for their benefit. Jesus says his action is an example thet we are not to be unwilling to serve just as he did. We ought to be willing to do the most humiliating of jobs if that is what is needed. We hear a great deal about having a servant's heart today, but see few examples. Jesus did not ritually wash their feet as an indication of his spirituality, but as an indication of his concern for their comfort even though it meant he had to give up some of his.

We are instructed to have that same attitude. Most ritual footwashing ceremonies are about a show of religious behaviour, and make a mockery of what Christ was teaching. That is what the one I attended appeared to be as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment