Thursday, July 2, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

Philippians 1:21-30

Would it be better to major in engineering or in teaching? Engineers make more money, but teachers are always in demand, and have more job security. Which is the better choice. What if I work as a plumber for a while to build up some money to go to school? What if I join that church?

Every decision involves choosing a particular thing. It also involves choosing to not have or not do something else. By choosing to work as a plumber I will possibly make more than I would as a teacher, but may not have as steady a demand. My hours are sure to be less consistent. I will probably have less stress, but have to work harder physically. I take a bigger risk of not receiving payment than a teacher does.

Unfortunately, we don’t have a crystal ball to see how each choice will turn out down the road. I can’t see whether there will be demand for the engineering specialty in the future, Perhaps I will get burned out as a teacher, or injured and unable to continue as a plumber. Sometimes we have no control over what we will do.

Paul sees the very really possibility of his death in the near future. As he contemplates the possibility, Paul realizes that there are benefits to death, and to life. He is willing to abide with whatever God chooses, but in thinking about it, he realizes what will most benefit others is more important that what he wants. He is willing to forgo what is best for him, to provide what is best for them.

“For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you. And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith; That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again.” (Philippians 1:21-26)

Declining health, imprisonment, and stress make death a very attractive choice for Paul. Not only would he escape his earthly burdens, but he would be instantly with God, enjoying the benefits of that relationship. He has already earned his rewards. The Philippians still have need of his example and teaching for a while longer, however. As a result, he expects to live a while longer, so he can continue to strengthen them, but that is God’s decision, not Paul’s

Regardless of what happens to Paul. They need to continue in Christ. Their life and lifestyle needs to be what is becoming to Christianity, The word becomes is a word used to describe clothing or a hairstyle that makes some one look nice. For example a hairdo that makes a woman look feminine is becoming, but one that makes her look like a man is not. Gothic makeup is rarely becoming, to anyone. Some is disgusting or repelling.

“Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God. For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; Having the same conflict which ye saw in me, and now hear to be in me.” (Philippians 1:27-30)

Conflict, fear, complaining, and unfaithfulness do not draw people toward God, tending to drive them away instead. It is a privilege to suffer for Christ. He warned us that every one who serves him will have to, and that our sufferings are common. The enemies of Christ believe that that refusal to quit implies We have become fanatics, but we recognize it as evidence that the Holy spirit has assured us of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment