Monday, August 10, 2009

The Message to the Church at Philadelphia

Revelation 3:7-13

“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.” (Revelation3:7-8)

Christ reveals himself to this church as the Messiah and King to this church. Like the message to Smyrna, there is no condemnation of this church. It has a little strength, and has faithfully served God, but is far less exciting than several of the other churches. They are not struggling to survive like Smyrna, and are thus able to reach out freely. Because of their faithfulness and focus on the word of God, unlike Pergamos,, they have something to offer. Even the other groups around them, which purport to be God’s people but are not will recognize that they are Christians, and serving God.

“Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.” (Revelation 3:9)

Because of their patient, faithful obedience, this church is promised that they will be shielded from most of the trials which come on most of the other churches, even during the run up to the Tribulation and revealing of the Anti-Christ. Those who have gone along with Jezebel’s rebellion and false teaching, on the other hand will experience it to the max, according to Revelation 2:22. Even Smyrna will experience some, although limited.

“Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.” (Revelation 3:10-11)

The danger is real that this church could lose their rewards by allowing false doctrine in, or by losing their focus on God’s word. Colossians 2:18 warns, “Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind.” Colossians 2: 8 warns, “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” Accepting the doctrines of the Nicolaitanes, of Balaam, or of Jezebel, could easily deprive them of their rewards.

“Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.” (Revelation 3:12)

Those who allow God to have their lives and overcome in him will have an active part in God’s plan, and in heaven, with no separation from God. Their place is assured, and they are clearly identified as God’s, with every right as citizens.

For the sixth time, we are reminded to listen to what the Spirit is instructing the churches. It must be really important. How many other things has he emphasized to the same degree?

“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.” (Revelation 3:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment