Monday, November 9, 2009

A Priest By The Oath Of God

Hebrews 7:20-25

Prior to earning my plumbing license, I had helped do a lot of plumbing, and had a attained a level of confidence in my skills. However, because I was not licensed, I could not be hired as a plumber. I could only work under a licensed journeyman. Although others might consider me a plumber, I could not be in charge of a job, directing others, overseeing the job, and taking responsibility for their work. Legally, I was not a plumber.

Receiving my license changed my stature as a plumber. I now had legal authority to do things. Suddenly a whole new world of plumbing was available. I found myself in demand, because while there are many who can do the work, only a few are willing to meet the legal requirements. Legally every job requires a licensed journeyman on the job, and technically, he is to have no more than two unlicensed helpers working under him. Plumbing contractors needed my license to legally do their jobs. The state had certified me as having the necessary skills.

Without a license, I could still have legally taught classes in plumbing, even to prepare others to get their license, although not legally qualified to actually do the work. Even as a journeyman, I cannot work as a plumber except as an employee of a plumbing contractor, who will take ultimate responsibility for my work. This is somewhat the picture we find with the following passage. In effect the Aaronic priests were only licensed to do certain things as priests. They had a very limited authority. Christ, on the other hand, was fully qualified, as demonstrated by God’s oath swearing him as a priest.

“And inasmuch as not without an oath he was made priest: (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:) By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament. And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death: But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood. Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.” (Hebrews 7:20-25)

As a plumber, it is necessary for me to renew my license periodically. It is also necessary for me to obtain certification on various new technologies as they develop in order to work on every thing. For example it is not legal for me to work on or install corrugated stainless steel tubing for gas lines unless I have been certified for that product. Thus, from time to time I encounter situations where I need to call someone else in or cet certification before I can do a certain job.

The Aaronic priests were qualified only to offer animal sacrifices, and thus could never take away sin. Hebrews 10:4 tells us, “For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.” They had to continually offer sacrifices for both new sins and for prior sin. As Hebrews 10::11 says, “And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:”

Christ was authorized to take away sin. “And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin, “ (I John 3:5) As a result of his greater authority, resulting from his being made a priest by an oath of God, according to Hebrews 10:14. “For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.”

Talk about a better testament! I have been perfected forever. He is able to save me to the uttermost. His priesthood will never come to anything he is not qualified to take care of, and he lives eternally to take care of it. There is no danger of losing my salvation, only of not obtaining it to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment