Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Finishing the Job

II Timothy 4:6

Over the years, I have had the pleasure of building a number of machine tools. Each one requires a great deal of effort, and many times there are details that require a concentration to design a critical part. Producing the design is often a daunting task. When something doesn’t work as planned, it is very discouraging. The only way one finishes the project is by focusing on the benefits of success. There are few feelings so gratifying as using the tool you have built, especially when it allows you to do something previously impossible.

Many times Paul had had discouragements and conflicts. II Corinthians 11:24-28 describes some of the things he had experienced. “Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.”

Paul is thrilled to have completed his project. He has finished the job he set out to do. He overcame all the discouragements and difficulty, and now he is ready to receive the benefits of what he has done. It will no longer be necessary to continue working so hard under such discouragement. He can now allow Timothy and others to take over the next stage of building the church.

“For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.” (II Timothy 4:6-8)”

The same rewards are available to Timothy and everyone else who loves the future return of Christ. John 14:23-24 is very explicit that obedience is the result and evidence of our love. “Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.”

Paul now continues to share news about himself and his companions, especially requesting that Timothy come as soon as possible.

“Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry. And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus.” (II Timothy 4:9-12”

Two things especially stand out in this passage. First, Demas, mentioned as a fellow servant in Colossians 4:14 and Philippians 1:24, after years of serving God, has turned to the things of the world. Men of God can get distracted by other things and stop serving God.

Secondly, Paul asks Timothy to bring Mark, because he is profitable for the ministry. It is a complete reversal of his position in Acts 15, when he had so opposed taking Mark with them because he had dropped out on their previous trip. Barnabas had taken him, and worked with him, with the result that Paul now sees him as a valuable member of the team. Scripture teaches us to avoid about judging others. Barnabas’ decision not only resulted in Mark becoming an asset to the spread of the gospel, but in the Gospel of Mark.

Paul requests that Timothy bring some things he’d left behind, such as his cloak. He is especially desirous that Timothy bring his books . It is probable that the parchments mentioned were copies of Old Testament books. While Paul, as an educated man, probably had many other writings, especially relating to Jewish history and doctrine, he was especially concerned that he had access to scripture. There is nothing to indicate that these were Paul’s writings, and those who had been called to the ministry needed the scriptures to learn from.

“The cloak that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.” (II Timothy 4:13)

Paul also reminds of Alexander’s opposition. It is probable that his attitude will not have changed, and that he will cause similar problems for Timothy as well.

“Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works: Of whom be thou ware also; for he hath greatly withstood our words.” ( II Timothy 4:14-15)”

God can be trusted to deal with sin, it is not necessary for Timothy to. Romans 12:19 commands, “Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment