Saturday, March 6, 2010

Freedom To Choose

Philippians 1:10-25

In running away, Onesimus had deprived Philemon of the value of his investment and it’s resulting benefit. Philemon has been done wrong, and Paul recognizes that, yet he is asking that Onesimus be forgiven. Both repentance, and forgiveness require recognition of responsibility. One cannot repent of what he isn’t guilty of, and if he is not responsible, it is wrong to hold him guilty.

“I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds: Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me: Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels: Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead he might have ministered unto me in the bonds of the gospel: But without thy mind would I do nothing; that thy benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly.” (Philemon 1:10-14)

An apology is not the same as repentance. Real repentance requires accepting the responsibility, and a sincere desire to correct the wrong insofar as possible. Onesimus had become a Christian. To do so he had to repent of his sin. This included depriving Philemon of his rightful benefits. He needs to correct that sin, and Paul has encouraged him to return to his master, despite hating to see him go.

Knowing Philemon’s love, Paul believed that had he asked, Philemon would have gladly lent Onesimus to assist Paul, but to make that assumption would have been to deprive Philemon of the right to choose. God rewards those who voluntarily serve him. Those who are forced to have not earned a reward.

Paul points out that the running away, was allowed by God, perhaps for the purpose of making his relationship to Onesimus more than just that of master and servant. As a fellow Christian, the rebellion that caused him to run away should disappear, producing a much better relationship, as a servant and a Christian brother.

“For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever; Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord?” (Philemon 1:15-16)

Paul then asks that Philemon give Onesimus the chance as a personal favor to Paul. He has that right because of the relationship he has previously established with Philemon. He offers to make good on any previous debt on Onesimus’ part. The offer demonstrates his confidence in Onesimus.

“If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself.
If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account; I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides. Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord. Having confidence in thy obedience I wrote unto thee, knowing that thou wilt also do more than I say.” (Philemon 1:17-21)


While Paul anticipates that Philemon will do as he asks, Paul makes it clear that the relationship between them is not dependent on his doing so. Paul is not trying to use their relationship to manipulate Philemon’s decision. Paul will visit regardless of his decision.

“But withal prepare me also a lodging: for I trust that through your prayers I shall be given unto you. There salute thee Epaphras, my fellowprisoner in Christ Jesus; Marcus, Aristarchus, Demas, Lucas, my fellowlabourers. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.” (Philemon 1:22-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment