Thursday, May 6, 2010

Coaching for Maximum Benefit

Romans 14:19-15:1

I hated Physical Education classes in high School. I was not very big, and I wasn’t good at football, basketball or baseball, so I selected last when teams were chosen. I was nearly always a substitute, meaning I only got to play when someone else got hurt, and as soon as someone else was available I was replaced. I did poorly in sprints, and we didn’t do long runs so it wasn’t until my senior year field day that I learned that I could run competitively for long distances.

In our church volleyball games, I became quite proficient and it troubled me that I didn’t do as well at the other sports. In college I took some classes in sports I’d never played before and did fairly well. Finally, I realized that while I’d probably never been a great athlete, I had the capability to do well at all the sports. I had just never had the opportunity to develop skills in the sports.

I was the oldest child, and we lived on a farm where our closest neighbor was a mile away, so I had no one my age to compete with to develop my skills. When I went to school, because I had little skill, I didn’t get to play as much, so my level of skills grew more slowly than the others, inhibiting my chances to be chosen to play, and further hindering skill growth. Phys Ed coaches were concerned with preparing the best players for the high school team and left poorer players to themselves, prolonging and accentuating the deficiencies.

On the other hand, because the church volleyball team included everyone, I was pitted against players better than I was who forced me to increase my skills, and against players I could beat which increased my confidence and motivation. Had the coaches been less interested in the school team and their win loss record, I, and probably several others would have gotten far more enjoyment and benefit from the classes. We might well have had a lifetime of enjoying sports, rather than resenting them.

Phys. Ed classes were originally intended to provide all the students with the knowledge and skills to enjoy participating in sports in hopes of encouraging a more fit life style. The emphasis on building the school team circumvented that purpose, frustrating or discouraging the less skilled, who should have benefited the most.

Unfortunately the coaches goal was not the health of the students, but the reputation of the school, and of the coach, often in hopes of receiving a more lucrative offer. Far too often churches become fixated on similar goals, rather than the spiritual development of the entire church. Ephesians 4:11-16 describes the different offices God has placed in the church and the intent of their work.

“And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.” (Ephesians 4:11-16)

Clearly, the goal is not to raise a few stars, but to build an entire church with each person able to contribute their share. This is exactly the opposite of those who just “want to get rid of the deadwood.” Lust as encouraging the more skilled to overlook the weaknesses of the less skilled would have benefited the entire student body, a similar attitude will benefit the church. Paul now describes some things which can contribute to the goal.

“Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.” (Romans 14:19-21)

While highly skilled and confident players may be stimulated by a coach such as Bobby Knight’s displays of anger, those who lack skills or confidence may well be totally demoralized. Most of the people, especially new Christians, lack the confidence to overcome such attacks, and stop trying. Ignoring their development will destroy their growth.

“Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” (Romans 14:22-23)

If one has developed a certain level of faith, he is not to cram it down weaker peoples throat. God will bless the person who doesn’t offend others by his own standards. When we encourage others to act in a way that violates their standards, we encourage doing things in the flesh to please us, rather than in faith to please God, and that is sin. They’ve put our opinion before God, making us an idol.

“We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.” (Romans 15:1)

If the strongest sets the pace or the standard everyone else becomes discouraged, but if they adapt to the weakest, and help him, everyone is encouraged by his success.

Several years ago, a couple of Little League players participated in a church softball game. They were quite upset at having to put up with all those little kids that didn’t know how to play, and wanted us to make them stop playing. Finally one of the ladies convinced them that if they’d help them learn how, one day they wouldn’t be so bad.

The pitcher later said that it sure was hard to guess where the little ones would swing and hit their bat, but it was a lot of fun trying, and even more seeing how excited they became if he did. The other player said it was tricky missing their hits and timing throws so they barely made it to the base, but it was a lot more fun than their regular games. Years later, both said that learning to adapt to the skills of others made them better at their jobs, and several of the little kids they helped went on to play for the school. Everyone benefited. That’s is how the church should work. It’s not about winning the game, but about teaching the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment