Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Reason For Writing I John

I John 2:12-14

My chemistry teacher in high school retired the next year. He had been teaching chemistry since he graduated from college, and was bored stiff with the subject. As a result , we spent little time in the classroom discussing the subject, focusing on things that interested him instead. While I got an “A” in his class, I learned almost nothing about chemistry.

Because of my “A” in high school chemistry, I was required to take the advanced class in college. I almost flunked because there was so much I needed to know that I hadn’t obtained in other classes and I needed them to understand what was being taught in that class. Thoroughly confused, I struggled with classes in physics that required a solid chemistry background, although other parts were easy. Only when I read an old high school chemistry book did I begin to understand what had been taught in my advanced class. Unfortunately, I couldn’t go back and retake the class at that point.

The entire Bible, and especially the New Testament is written like a college correspondence course. Each book in the New Testament is written for a special purpose, yet each relates to and builds on what is taught in the others. II Peter 1:20 tells us nothing is to be interpreted by itself. To fully understand what is being taught requires relating it to what is taught in the other books as well. Like the correspondence course, we can easily go back and review what we didn’t fully understand.

As we examine the different books, we find that Romans is the basic Christianity 101 and 102, explaining basic doctrine, then teaching how to apply it. Hebrews is advanced doctrine, and is difficult for those without a sound basis in basic doctrine to understand. James deals with issues that particularly affect those of Jewish background, while I Peter is especially concerned with those who have no experience with Jewish teaching. Each of the other books serve similar purposes, and I John is no exception.

II Peter focused on the danger of being misled by false teachers, explaining how to find out what the truth is. Jesus said we were to identify a tree by it’s fruit, and I John teaches us what to look for to identify fruit. By learning to properly identify the fruit we can verify our own relationship with God as well as those we come in contact with. Being able to make valid assessments is critical at every stage of Christian development.

I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.” (I John 2:12-14)

Being sure of his salvation is critical for the growth of a new Christian. Assurance does not come from reviewing the sinner’s prayer, but from the Holy Spirit, according to Romans 8:16. “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:” Young Christians need assurance that their sins are forgiven, and that they are capable of knowing God themselves, and are not dependent on what someone else tells them.

They also need to understand the point Paul makes in Romans 6:1-4. “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.” Knowing that we are free from sin doesn’t excuse further sin. God is not glorified by being forced to forgive other sin.

Older Christians can become discouraged and begin to doubt the validity of their experience and need reassurance, or they can begin to drift away because they are so familiar with what they have already learned that they assume they cannot be misled, and getting caught up in false teaching.

Strong mature Christians can become proud of their accomplishments and begin to try to serve God in their own power, or they can begin to feel they have attained what they needed to do and can focus on doing their own thing, becoming less faithful. God’s messages to the churches in Revelation 2-3 describe what happens and what is needed.

Constant checking ourselves and our relationship with God enables us to avoid falling into various traps that await the unwary. John has written this book so we will know where we are. Without it, we are much like a person walking along the edge of a cliff at night. We are unsure exactly where the danger lies. A light enables us to see the edge, and obstacles that might make us stumble. John explains how to turn the light on.

No comments:

Post a Comment