Thursday, September 16, 2010

Praying According to God’s Will

I John 5:14-17

There are an untold number of books about prayer available. I have read a few and talked to people about a lot more. In the process, I have found that many, if not most of the writers are in direct contradiction with what the scriptures teach about prayer. I guess that is not surprising since it is true of almost every subject in scripture. When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray, it seems as if the writers missed the whole point, as well as the many teachings in other passages.

In the model prayer, the so-called “Lord’s Prayer,” in Matthew 6:9-13, Jesus gives us an example of how we should pray. He does not tell us to quote that prayer, nor does the scripture imply he prayed it himself. He just illustrated some important aspects of our prayer.

The first aspect he emphasizes is the relationship of father and child. The child should come boldly and eagerly to his father, but with a sincere loving respect. In speaking with my own Dad, I never told him, “Dad, do this or that,” because I respected him as my father, yet an well known evangelist “prays,” saying, “God, I command you,” showing no respect for God.

I could ask my Dad for anything, but I always knew he had the right to say no, for whatever reason. I knew that he would give me anything within reason he possibly could, unless he thought it would harm me. As a result, when he said “no” I learned not to try to force him to change his mind. Many times, his decision was based on a plan for something much better than what I asked for. Sometimes he delivered what I asked for, but had to work out some details before it could happen.

If we have that same relationship of love and respect toward God, we will have the same confidence in his answering our prayers. Unlike the unjust judge, it will not be necessary to nag to get what we want, because if it fits with his desires and intentions he will do it because he loves us. We will be far less demanding in our requests as we learn to respect him, yet more confident that he will answer our prayer. Our asking will be more aligned with what we know God intends, because we want what he wants. Our prayer becomes like a little child talking to his Daddy.

“And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.” (I John 5:14-15)

As a child, you may see a sibling do something that you know is wrong, but you know that it was an accident, or someone else’s fault. In such a case you would very possibly intervene to try to keep them from being punished. It is the right thing to do and may well minimize or eliminate punishment. As Christians, we see others do wrong from time to time. When it is unintentional, we have the right to intercede on their behalf, asking God for leniency. We know that God delights in mercy.

“If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.” (I John 5:16-17)

We also need to understand that god is not an abusive father, and some sins cannot be overlooked. Deliberate, intentional sin is not an accident. Jesus told us how to deal with those who do wrong in Matthew 18:15-17. When we know it is deliberate, and they refuse to change, we are to separate from them and treat them as an unsaved person. At that point, we are no longer to try to prevent God bringing judgment. It is critical that we follow God’s steps because the sin may have been unintentional. David did not set out to commit adultery, or murder, but he did so. God forgave him because he was willing to repent, in II Samuel 12:13. Saul, on the other hand refused to confess and repent, insisting it was the people’s fault and lost the kingdom, and eventually his life according to I Samuel 15:18-23, and 15:28-29. God rebuked Samuel for continuing to mourn for Saul in I Samuel 15:35-16:1. The problem was not the hideousness of the sin, but the refusal to repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment