Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Choked By The Cares Of The World

Luke 7:11-17

I started writing this post, and it was as if my mind couldn’t focus on what the passage said. Then as I finally got started, my computer was running so slowly that it was not keeping up with my typing. Since I am a very slow typist, it was obvious the computer was not running properly. Having just upgraded my antivirus protection, I suspected it of causing the problem. The website said to erase the program and reload it to solve the problem.

My computer was running so slow I couldn’t maintain my internet connection. Then I was called on to deal with some problems one of our men has. The entire day went that way, and by the time I needed to prepare for our adult Bible study, I was discouraged and really didn’t want to try to teach. In the process of preparing to teach about financial matters, Haggai’s statements about why Israel was frustrated in their efforts to make a living came into my mind, and I was forced to spend some time asking God’s forgiveness for being so focused on my own goals.

After the Bible study, a couple approached me about a situation in the wife’s family. The lady has not yet accepted Christ and they were really troubled because they had received news of the murder of her aunt and cousin just before coming to the Bible study. Another cousin from the same family was murdered just about two weeks ago, and they are concerned about four small children, as well as deeply hurt over the deaths.

I was reminded how often we allow Satan to distract us with the problems of daily life and we lose sight of his power and of the needs of others in our concern for our own problems. In the parable of the sower Jesus described the seed falling among thorns as representing the person who is so caught up in earthly cares he neglects the Lord, and ceases to grow or produce fruit. Matthew 13:22 describes the situation. “He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.” I was in danger of blowing off a person who is just getting interested in the Lord because I was focused on something so unimportant. Our passage today exhibit’s a totally different attitude.

“And it came to pass the day after, that he went into a city called Nain; and many of his disciples went with him, and much people. Now when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and much people of the city was with her.” (Luke 7:11-12)

Surrounded with people clamoring for attention Jesus meets a funeral procession headed for the grave. Most people would have simply stepped aside with little thought for the grieving mother, focused on what they were doing instead. Jesus had compassion on the mother. We see the same compassion when Lazarus was raised from the dead. Raising a person from the dead was no problem. Jesus was concerned over the emotional pain of the loved ones. John 11:33-35 describes his reaction to Mary and the other’s pain. “When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept.”

Jesus took the trouble to raise the young man from the dead because of his mother’s emotional distress. Had God not used his word to get my attention, I might well have overlooked the couples emotional stress to take care of the things I was fretting about. I am so glad he reminded me. We see such a wonderful example.

“And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not. And he came and touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said, Young man, I say unto thee, Arise. And he that was dead sat up, and began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother.” (Luke 7:13-15)

Because Jesus took the time to deal with a mother’s grief, the power of God to heal was seen and both God the Father, and the Son were glorified. People understood that he was from God.

“And there came a fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people. And this rumour of him went forth throughout all Judaea, and throughout all the region round about.” (Luke 7:16-17)

How many times are we unfruitful because we are focused on those around us and our desires that we fail to recognize the needs and pain of those outside our group?

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate this article. I have been feeling so distracted and deterred from what is important lately. Thank you for reminding me that Jesus cared about people, not about schedules.

    ReplyDelete