Thursday, March 3, 2011

“I’d Never…”

Luke 22:31-34

Nearly everyone is familiar with the saying, “Pride goes before a fall.” It is a simplified and slightly weaker version of Proverbs 16:18, “Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.” A prideful attitude, or haughty spirit causes us to overlook dangers and other people’s feelings, while pride itself convinces us we couldn’t be wrong and results in thoughtlessly taking actions that are foolish and sometimes fatal.

Pride in our spiritual condition is no different than any other form of pride, producing the same results. The Pharisees were extremely proud of their attainments, which led to the actions they were taking. Unfortunately, the problem is not limited to other people, as we saw in the arguments among the disciples over who would be the greatest. It shows up again in Matthew and Mark’s report of Jesus prophecy of Peter’s denial.

“And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered. But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee. But Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I. And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all.” (Mark 14:27-31)

How many of us have thought that if we were to experience a certain temptation or danger we’d respond in a certain manner? When Jesus announced that all the disciples would be offended, or discouraged that very night, Peter’s response was that he would be faithful even if all the others denied him. While it is easy to condemn Peter for thinking he was better and stronger than the others, we notice that all of them said the same thing. They all believed that they’d stand fast even if the others faltered. In their pride they were convinced that Jesus was wrong in saying they’d all be offended. Peter was just the most outspoken, convinced that nothing could make him deny the Lord.

Convinced that the Lord was wrong about their turning away and discouragement, and insisting it wasn’t true, the disciples completely ignored the statement that Jesus would be raised again and go before them. Peter’s pride gave Satan an opportunity to possibly turn him away, and Jesus warned that he will use it as far as possible.

“And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.” (Luke 22:31-32)

After his boast, Peter could well have been too ashamed to try again when he denied the Lord, even believing that because Jesus said “But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven,” in Matthew 10:33, he no longer had hope. Even though he will deny the Lord repeatedly, his faith will not fail, he will still be saved. What a relief that must have been for Peter later. The experience Of denying the Lord will give Peter a unique basis for dealing with others, and Jesus assigns him that special job at this point.

Until Jesus fulfilled the law at his crucifixion, the disciples were still under the Law, their salvation was not complete. They would not be changed spiritually, or converted, until the Holy Spirit came on them, as described in Acts 1:7. When Peter is converted, he will be especially equipped to strengthen the others because he will have a special understanding that sin, even denial of the Lord, cannot take away salvation. Understanding this frees one to serve God without fear of loosing salvation.

Years ago, I worked on a forty foot tall scaffold. For several days, I found myself unable to use both hands to work because one always had to be free to grab on if I should slip or lose my balance. One day, we put a railing around the scaffold. The confidence I wouldn’t fall enabled me to do more than twice as much work because I wasn’t worried. Eternal security is the Christian’s railing. Unless one is inside the railing, it provides no safety. One must constantly be alert to keep from falling. Peter will be able to vouch for the railing’s effectiveness because he will have experienced it.

Peter is still convinced that he will not deny the Lord that easily. He sincerely believed he would even go to the point of death, and give time to think about it might have. When the time comes, however, he will react instinctively, rather than logically, denying the Lord, as Jesus knows. Unless we have been there before, we really don’t know how we will respond, just as Peter didn’t.

“And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death. And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.” (Luke 22:33-34)

1 comment:

  1. dfish,

    You and I disagree about this.
    I feel that Peter was not converted yet when he denyed the Lord and didn't have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.So this sin was forgiven him, with all of his others sins prior to being saved.
    But those that have the gift of the Holy Spirit and have been born again are now responsible before God.
    (heb6:1) Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
    2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
    3 And this will we do, if God permit.
    4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
    5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
    6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.


    (Math 10:32) Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
    33 But whosoever shall DENY me before men, him will I also DENY before my Father which is in heaven.


    I also don't think that God wants us to be all that comfortable about our salvation, but to keep a certain fear about it, that keeps us on the right track.

    (heb4:1)
    Let us therefore FEAR, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

    ReplyDelete