Friday, May 17, 2013

A Song Of Praise

II Samuel 22:1-51

“And David spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD had delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul: And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.  I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. “ (II Samuel 22:1-4)

I am often amused when I see the present day emphasis on Praise and Worship songs.   Many times they wish to eliminate the use of  psalms and hymns.  I have the feeling that those who have coined the name have little or no understanding of what the terms mean, of church history, or of scripture.  Ephesians 5:18-19 describes one of the results of being filled with the Spirit.  “And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;”

Colossians 3:16 states that when the Holy Spirit is allowed free reign in our lives, he will use psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to teach, encourage and warn us.  “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.”   Literally, the Songs the Holy Spirit uses will affect more than just one’s emotions.

Interestingly, the word psalm refers to a song of praise, and hymn to a song of worship.
Hebrews 13:15 defines praise as thanks giving.  “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.”

This song David sings is a psalm or song of praise.  Notice how the focus is on what God has done for David in various situations and how that David can depend on him in the future.  He starts with some generalizations about God as his rock and personal deliverer, but moves to specific actions on his behalf because David asked for help.

"When the waves of death compassed me, the floods of ungodly men made me afraid; The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me; In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God: and he did hear my voice out of his temple, and my cry did enter into his ears, 

Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations of heaven moved and shook, because he was wroth.  There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.  He bowed the heavens also, and came down; and darkness was under his feet.  And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: and he was seen upon the wings of the wind.  And he made darkness pavilions round about him, dark waters, and thick clouds of the skies.  Through the brightness before him were coals of fire kindled. 

The LORD thundered from heaven, and the most High uttered his voice.  And he sent out arrows, and scattered them; lightning, and discomfited them.  And the channels of the sea appeared, the foundations of the world were discovered, at the rebuking of the LORD, at the blast of the breath of his nostrils.

 He sent from above, he took me; he drew me out of many waters; He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them that hated me: for they were too strong for me.  They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.  He brought me forth also into a large place: he delivered me, because he delighted in me.” (II Samuel 22:5-20) 

The song then explains why God has responded to David’s plea, teaching us how we can experience the same blessings.

“The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness: according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me. 

For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God.  For all his judgments were before me: and as for his statutes, I did not depart from them.  I was also upright before him, and have kept myself from mine iniquity.  Therefore the LORD hath recompensed me according to my righteousness; according to my cleanness in his eye sight.” (II Samuel 22:21-25)

David then praises God for his character, that causes him to respond in such a fashion to those who do what is right.

“With the merciful thou wilt show thyself merciful, and with the upright man thou wilt show thyself upright.  With the pure thou wilt show thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt show thyself unsavoury.  And the afflicted people thou wilt save: but thine eyes are upon the haughty, that thou mayest bring them down. 

For thou art my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness.  For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall. 

As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.  For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?” (II Samuel 22:26-32)

It is through God’s power that David had been able to live in such a manner as to please God and receive his blessings.  It is through his power that he has been able to learn how to fight, and to do the various things, and it is through god’s power that he has been successful.

“God is my strength and power: And he maketh my way perfect.  He maketh my feet like hinds' feet: and setteth me upon my high places.  He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. 

Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy gentleness hath made me great.  Thou hast enlarged my steps under me; so that my feet did not slip. 

I have pursued mine enemies, and destroyed them; and turned not again until I had consumed them.  And I have consumed them, and wounded them, that they could not arise: yea, they are fallen under my feet. 

For thou hast girded me with strength to battle: them that rose up against me hast thou subdued under me.  Thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies, that I might destroy them that hate me.” (II Samuel 22:33-41)

 God’s power has impacted others as well as David himself,  so that both heathen and professing believers have been forced to examine what they are doing.

“They looked, but there was none to save; even unto the LORD, but he answered them not.  Then did I beat them as small as the dust of the earth, I did stamp them as the mire of the street, and did spread them abroad. 

Thou also hast delivered me from the strivings of my people, thou hast kept me to be head of the heathen: a people which I knew not shall serve me.  Strangers shall submit themselves unto me: as soon as they hear, they shall be obedient unto me.  Strangers shall fade away, and they shall be afraid out of their close places.” (II Samuel 22:42-46) 

Because of what God has done, David is strengthened in his resolve to follow God forever.  He is rejoicing fopr the wondrous blessings he has already received, and looking forward to future blessings.

“The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of the rock of my salvation.  It is God that avengeth me, and that bringeth down the people under me, And that bringeth me forth from mine enemies: thou also hast lifted me up on high above them that rose up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man.  Therefore I will give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and I will sing praises unto thy name. 

He is the tower of salvation for his king: and showeth mercy to his anointed, unto David, and to his seed for evermore.” (II Samuel 22:47-51)

Because of the message in this song, we learn that if we obey God, we can expect him to bless in a mighty way, even when others who claim to be Christians oppose us.  We have solid reasons for expecting God to do what he did for David.  It gives a tremendous example of the kind of songs the Holy Spirit uses.  The style of music is irrelevant, but the message is crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment