Friday, June 21, 2013

God Warns Solomon

I Kings 9:1-9

“And it came to pass, when Solomon had finished the building of the house of the LORD, and the king's house, and all Solomon's desire which he was pleased to do, That the LORD appeared to Solomon the second time, as he had appeared unto him at Gibeon.” (I Kings 9:1-2)

When Solomon first became king, obviously desiring to serve the Lord, God had appeared to him and promised to bless in a mighty way if he would serve God.  About twenty years after Solomon became king, when he had accomplished all the things he originally set out to do, and was at his most powerful, God appeared to him the second time.  At that point, he was so successful, it appeared nothing would ever slow him down.

“And the LORD said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.” (I Kings 9:3)

In effect, God stated that he was satisfied with what Solomon had done up to that point.  He declares his intention to do exactly what Solomon had prayed for in his dedication of the temple, to make it a place of meeting with God forever.  It makes his next statements seem almost out of place.

“And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments: Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel.” (I Kings 9:4-5)

When God appeared to Solomon the first time, he had promised unconditionally to give him wisdom and wealth beyond anyone else.  However, in I Kings 3:14, he made one conditional promise.  “And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days.”  The length of Solomon’s reign would depend on his obedience to God.

Just at the peak of his glory, God again reminds him of that condition, that if he will serve God completely, his family will be established as leaders over Israel forever.   It seems like an unnecessary reminder, because Solomon seems to be doing so well, but God doesn’t stop with that reminder.

“But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them: Then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people: And at this house, which is high, every one that passeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss; and they shall say, Why hath the LORD done thus unto this land, and to this house? 

And they shall answer, Because they forsook the LORD their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have taken hold upon other gods, and have worshipped them, and served them: therefore hath the LORD brought upon them all this evil.” (I Kings 9:6-9) 

If Solomon or any of his descendants turning away from following God’s law, to worship other gods, then the entire nation of Israel will be tossed aside, and the temple Solomon built will be deserted and become a source of mockery against Israel.  The land which God had given will be taken from them because they turned away from their God.  It seemed impossible that Solomon or his descendants would ever turn away, considering how God was blessing them.

Please remember that the scripture made a special note of a couple of problems however.  I Kings 3:3 points out, “And Solomon loved the LORD, walking in the statutes of David his father: only he sacrificed and burnt incense in high places.”  Though he loved the Lord, he was disobeying him in one area, offering sacrifices in areas where God had forbidden them.

Speaking of building the temple, I Kings 6:38 says, “…So was he seven years in building it.”  The next verse, I Kings 7:1 points out, “But Solomon was building his own house thirteen years…”  Though he still loved the Lord and was trying to serve him, his emphasis had shifted.  Serving God was no longer the most important thing.

Like Solomon, the church a Ephesus seemed to be doing everything right.  However, in Revelation 2:4-5, God warned, “Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.  Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.”

Frequently God gives us such warnings just when it seems the least needed, because he knows the dangers of success.  There is and old saying to the effect that success destroys more people than failure.  It was Solomon’s success that enabled him to do the things that eventually destroyed him.  The same thing has happened to some of the biggest and best known pastors and churches.  We need to learn to listen for those warnings from God.  Unfortunately, we tend to think we don’t need it.








No comments:

Post a Comment