Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Circumstances of Daniel’s Final Vision

Daniel 10:1-19

“In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision.” (Daniel 10:1)

This prophecy, the last of Daniel’s recorded prophecies, was received two full years after Cyrus became king, about 537 BC, and about six or eight years after the prophecy in Daniel 9.  The events were and are sure to happen, but they were far in the future and only Daniel understood the vision.  It is probable even he had only a limited understanding.

“In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.  I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.’ (Daniel 10:2-3) 

Daniel started fasting and praying the first month of Cyrus’s third year, about a year after Cyrus gave the order permitting the rebuilding of Jerusalem.  In his late eighties or early nineties, he was unable to accompany the group that went, but he could still spend his time praying for them, mourning that he was unable to go and avoiding things that focused on his personal pleasure.

“And in the four and twentieth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, which is Hiddekel; Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz: His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.” (Daniel 10:4-6)

On the twenty fourth day of the month, Daniel was out near the Hiddekel or Tigris river near it’s junction with the Euphrates.  It was while he was there he saw this final vision, starting with a vision of a man very similar to the vision John had of Christ almost six hundred years later in Revelation 1:13-16.

“And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves.  Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength.  Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.” (Daniel 10:7-9) 

Daniels’s companions heard or saw enough to know something was going on and fled to places of concealment, not seeing the vision itself, somewhat like Saul’s companions at the time of his conversion.  Acts 9:7 tells us, “And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.”  Saul’s companions heard the noise but didn’t see anyone.  Acts 22:9 tells us they saw the light, but couldn’t distinguish what the sounds said.   “And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.”

Daniel was left alone to see the vision, and he became totally aware of his own unrighteousness, much like John describes in Revelation 1:17a. “And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead…”  Daniel immediately found himself in deep trancelike state.  This sense of the prophet’s unworthiness on seeing a vision of God is common to almost every such event in the Bible, from Adam hiding himself in the garden, to Abraham in Genesis 17, to Moses in Exodus 34:8 and Isaiah  in Isaiah 6:5.

This leads me to the conclusion that many of those who glory in wonderful visions of God may have in fact have seen Satan instead.  In II Corinthians 11:13-15 Paul warned, “For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.  And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.”  A true vision of God never results in pride.

“And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.  And he said unto me, O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak unto thee, and stand upright: for unto thee am I now sent. And when he had spoken this word unto me, I stood trembling.” (Daniel 10:10-11)

Before giving the vision or it’s explanation, God reassured Daniel that he was not in trouble but that God had a special message for him.  God gave both Isaiah and John similar reassurances.  In Re 1:17-19 John recounts his experience.  “And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.  Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;”  Even after God’s reassurance Daniel was still shaking.

“Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.  But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.” (Daniel 10:12-13)

God had heard and answered Daniel’s prayer on the first day and sent the angel Gabriel to deliver his message.  Satan had done his best to stop him, delaying Daniel’s receiving it for twenty one days, until Michael, another of the archangels, came to help him.  Even then it had taken three more days.  

If two of the archangels acting on God’s behalf could be delayed by Satan, it is pretty arrogant for an average Christian to think he can bind Satan by saying a few words.  II Peter 2:10b-11 says, “…Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.  Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.”  Their behavior only demonstrates their spiritual ignorance.

“Now I am come to make thee understand what shall befall thy people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.  And when he had spoken such words unto me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb.” (Daniel 10:14-15)

Though he could delay the message, Satan could not stop it.  The prophecy is to inform Daniel and Israel what is to happen far into the future.  While the rest of the world would be affected, the prophecy was primarily about Israel.  Daniel was speechless learning what God was offering to show him, just staring at the ground.

“And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spake, and said unto him that stood before me, O my lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned upon me, and I have retained no strength.  For how can the servant of this my lord talk with this my lord? for as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.” (Daniel 10:16-17)

One of the angels touched his lips trying to get him to say something.  Daniel simply didn’t know what to say to the angel or to God when just the knowledge of what God was doing for him had knocked for a loop, literally taking his breath away.

“Then there came again and touched me one like the appearance of a man, and he strengthened me, And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. 

And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.” (Daniel 10:18-19)

One of the angels touched Daniel, encouraging him not to fear what he would see.  Finally Daniel was able to ask them to continue, after receiving their encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment