Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Where To Find Wisdom

Proverbs 8:1-21

“Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?  She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.  She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.  Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.” (Proverbs 8:1-4)

Highly educated people are often amazed at what “primitive” peoples are able to accomplish.   They don’t understand that the things they learned from their teachers were originally developed as a result of observing the things of nature.  Everything in nature has something to teach us about how things work if we are smart enough to learn from them instead of trying to impose our own ideas.   Because they have not been taught otherwise, primitive peoples tend to observe nature closely. 

“O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.  Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things.  For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.” (Proverbs 8:5-9)

A completely uneducated person or one with serious learning disabilities can learn from paying attention to what the things around him teach.  Even animals learn to do things that seem beyond their capabilities, as for example a cow or horse learning to unlatch even a fairly complex latch or a mouse learning to follow a maze.  Humans are able to learn far more, and if they learn it completely rather than settling for someone else’s explanation, they will learn the truth.  Misinformation results from jumping to conclusions.

“All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.  They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.” (Proverbs 8:8-9)

There are no truly random events.  Everything follows certain basic unbreakable principles.  Those principles are understandable and will be plain and logical to anyone who takes the trouble to learn them.  When things seem inexplicable, it is because we lack understanding, not because the rules were violated or changed.

“Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.  For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.” (Proverbs 8:10-11)

Physical things on earth deteriorate over time, losing their value.  Because the basic principle do not change, they can be utilized to replace or improve anything one might obtain and to produce pleasure no physical object could give.   This makes the wisdom more valuable than any earthly riches.
“I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.  The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.” (Proverbs 8:12-13)

Intelligent decisions are always accompanied by careful consideration and planning, often resulting in doing something in a new or unusual way.  An over inflated idea of one’s intelligence or importance, a disregard for other people’s intelligence or ideas, a refusal to abide by proper standards of right and wrong, and speaking without thought hamper one’s ability to make wise decisions. 

“Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.  By me kings reign, and princes decree justice.  By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth.” (Proverbs 8:14-16)

Wisdom is the understanding of basic principles, and good decisions and advice are the result of having that understanding of basic principles.  It has the power to make a person successful.  It is through understanding certain principles that a king obtains power and leaders are able to make fair judgments.  It is through wisdom that rulers and leaders retain the respect and loyalty of their people. 

“I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.  Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.  My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver.” (Proverbs 8:17-19)

People who set out to learn things before they need to know will be prepared when the need arises.  As a result, they will earn the respect of those around them and have what they need.  Though they may have less belongings, they will have the things that matter, and a life without regrets or guilt.  The results of wisdom are worth more than any physical wealth. 

“I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment: That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.” (Proverbs 8:20-21)


Wisdom always tends toward a high moral standard, and an ability to discern the effects and consequences of a decision.  As a result it enables those who regularly exercise it to receive earthly blessings in abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment