Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Prophecy Of the Reign Of Cyrus

Isaiah 45:1-19

“Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut; I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron: And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.” (Isaiah 45:1-3)

God has said that Cyrus is his shepherd, to do what pleases Him.  He is empowering him to defeat other nations and destroy the power of their governments.  He will cause him to easily conquer large cities with extra wide gates, as if they had no defense, and the defenses of the most powerful will crumble though they seem like a bronze or brass gate with iron bars to hold it shut.  He will take their most valuable treasures sand secrets, so that his people will know who God is.  Two hundred years later, Cyrus would give the order to rebuild Jerusalem, and he and the Persian kings that followed supported and encouraged the worship of God.  Cyrus’s son, Cambyses took the throne name Ahasuerus, and married Ester, making her uncle, Mordecai prime minister.  After his death, Darius I and Artaxerxes supported the rebuilding of Jerusalem, providing materials and sacrifices because they wanted the blessings of God on their reigns.   Ezra 7:23 depicts their attitude.  “Whatsoever is commanded by the God of heaven, let it be diligently done for the house of the God of heaven: for why should there be wrath against the realm of the king and his sons? “

“For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.  I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.  I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.  Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.” (Isaiah 45:4-8)

God will bring Cyrus to power, calling him by name specifically for Israel’s benefit, even though the Persians at the time did not know or serve God.  God is the only God, and it is His power that will enable Cyrus to rule such a large empire, so that not only the Persians but all the nations from the east and west will know Him.  He is creator of everything, from the light and darkness to concepts of good and evil.   His ultimate plan is for the world to experience salvation and live righteously.

“Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?  Woe unto him that saith unto his father, What begettest thou? or to the woman, What hast thou brought forth?” (Isaiah 45:9-10)

It is foolish for anyone to fight against God.  It is like a piece of broken pottery fighting with other broken pieces, demanding the potter makes something different from it, or claiming he has no hands to make it into anything.  It is like a child who is angry at his parents for letting him be born. 

“Thus saith the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker, Ask me of things to come concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands command ye me.  I have made the earth, and created man upon it: I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their host have I commanded.  I have raised him up in righteousness, and I will direct all his ways: he shall build my city, and he shall let go my captives, not for price nor reward, saith the LORD of hosts.” (Isaiah 45:11-13)

God instructs to seek his plans for his children and what he has planned.  He created the world and made mankind.  He made the heavens and directs the planets.  God is timeless, seeing the end from the beginning, and though humanly speaking Cyrus would not come to power for two hundred years, God refers to it as something that has already occurred.  He will do what is right, and God will direct his actions.  As a result, he will cause Jerusalem to be built and will voluntarily free the Israelites from slavery.

“Thus saith the LORD, The labour of Egypt, and merchandise of Ethiopia and of the Sabeans, men of stature, shall come over unto thee, and they shall be thine: they shall come after thee; in chains they shall come over, and they shall fall down unto thee, they shall make supplication unto thee, saying, Surely God is in thee; and there is none else, there is no God.  Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.  They shall be ashamed, and also confounded, all of them: they shall go to confusion together that are makers of idols.” (Isaiah 45:14-16)

The Egyotians, the Ethiopians, and the Sabeans or people from Sheba, in present day Somalia and Yemen would all be part of the Persian Empire.  Esther 1:1 describes the territories Cyrus’ son, Cambyses, also known as Ahasuerus reigned over.  “Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus, (this is Ahasuerus which reigned, from India even unto Ethiopia, over an hundred and seven and twenty provinces:)”  Egypt, Sheba and Ethiopia are included.  A study of Esther reveals that all of the provinces heard about God’s power and protection of Israel.  While this prophecy has largely been fulfilled, it will be fulfilled more completely when Christ sets up His Millennial kingdom. 

“But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.  For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.  I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth: I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye me in vain: I the LORD speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.” (Isaiah 45:17-19)


God will save Israel forever.  They will never regret having trusted in God.  He has publically declared his intentions, and he has not sold out or broken his promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  The things he has stated are true and right, and his word can be depended on. 

1 comment:

  1. Praise God that He knows the end from the beginning, and that He has a perfect plan for each of His children, if we yield to Him as the clay does to the potter. Thanks for the great post & God bless.

    ReplyDelete