Friday, November 20, 2015

If You Know Me, You Know The Father

John 8:12-30

“Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

 The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.

Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.   Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.  And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. ” (John 8:12-16)

The Jewish leaders had just asked Jesus to comment on the Law’s requirement for the death penalty for adultery and Jesus had made the point that even if they executed the woman, they were not following the law properly.     The crowd who had been present when the leaders asked him the question were still there and Jesus spoke to them.  He referred to himself as the light of the world, the one who reveals the truth, as light reveals things.  Like a person who carries a flashlight or lantern can avoid tripping hazards, a person who walks with God can avoid violating God’s laws because he has that light in his life to show him what is wrong.    Had they been following God they would not have had such a question. 

Some of the Pharisees accused him of lying because he was talking about himself.  Jesus pointed out that just because a person is peaking of himself, it does not automatically mean he is lying.  He knows who he was and where he had been and they did not.  They were judging strictly on their own opinions, but Jesus said he judges no man.  If he were to judge. His judgment would be right, because it would not be based on his opinion alone, but also on that of God. 

“It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true.  I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.” (John 8:17-18)

Deuteronomy 19:15 states that nothing could be established as fact solely on the word of one witness. But that two or more provided enough verification.  “One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.”  They accused Jesus of having no supporting witnesses, yet God himself had testified on his behalf, both at his baptism, when God spoke from heaven, and through the many miracles.  Legally, they should not dismiss his statements out of hand. 

“Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.” (John 8:19)

The Pharisees then demanded where his father was so they could ask him.  Jesus pointed out that they really didn’t know him, but were just jumping to conclusions, and they didn’t know his father, God, at all.  If they had taken the trouble to get to know Jesus, they would have gotten to know his father as well, just as a child’s friend son gets to know the child’s father, both by the child’s talking about him and by visiting in the home or meeting him at various functions. 

“These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.” (John 8:20)

When Jesus spoke these words, he was in the treasury, one of the rooms of the Temple, and though the Jews had ordered his arrest, no one was willing to make the arrest because it was not yet his time. 

“Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come.

Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come.

And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.  I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.” (John 8:21-24)

Jesus than announced again that he would be leaving and they would not be able to find him and would die in their sins because they could not go where he was going.  They understood he was talking about death but thought he was talking about committing suicide.  He made the same point that he had made to Nicodemus, that if they did not believe in him they were condemned already. 

“Then said they unto him, Who art thou?

And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning.  I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.  They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.” (John 8:25-27)

When they asked who Jesus was he told them he was exactly who he had claimed to be from, the beginning, the Son of God.  He had much to tell them and things they were doing that needed correcting.  God was and is always right and they could depend on what Jesus said because it came from God.  The people still did not understand that he was talking about God.   They were still hung up on their traditions and customs. 

“Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.  And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.” (John 8:28-29)

Jesus said that when they saw him crucified, and resurrected, fulfilling the prophecies, they would understand that he really was the Messiah, and that he was doing what God directed, and that God had not turned away from him.  On the day of Pentecost, Peter reminded the people of the prophecies they knew and how Christ fulfilled them and three thousand people were saved.   A little later, in Acts 3, Peter reminded the people again of the prophecies and what had happened and another five thousand were saved as a result. 

“As he spake these words, many believed on him.” (John 8:30)


Many believed on Jesus just because of what he said.  

No comments:

Post a Comment