Monday, April 18, 2016

David’s Commitment To God

Psalm 16:1-11

Michtam of David.

“Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.

O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee; But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.”  (Psalm 16:1-3)

This poem by David opens with the basic premise that He has put his trust in the Lord and expect him to preserve him.    As he points out, his righteousness does not even compare with that of God.   All he can do is demonstrate God’s righteousness and love to those who love God here on earth.  A thousand years later, John would make the same point in I John 5:1.  “Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.  A lack of love for other  Christians clearly indicates a person does not love God, as I John 4:20 states.  “If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”

“Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.” (Psalm 16:4)

The people who rush to find some other god will find more problems than they can handle.  David refuses to get caught up in the things they are doing.  As Jesus said in Luke 16:13, “No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.”    Whether that other god is material things or some other idol, we have to choose which we will serve.   

“The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.  The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.  I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.” (Psalm 16:5-7)

David has chosen God for his inheritance, depending on him to meet his needs, and God has supplied all his needs.   Trusting God has led him to being satisfied with where he is at, and he feels blessed to have it.   He thanks the Lord for his advice and leadership.   God may lead us into places we would not choose, but when he leads us it will be a place that is eminently satisfactory.  In Psalm 37:3-6, David assures us of the benefits of trusting and serving God.  “Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.  Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.  Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.  And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.”  When we put God first, and follow his leadership we can expect to be satisfied with what he provides. 

“I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.  For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.” (Psalm 16:8-10)

David had committed to putting God first in his life.  As a result he was at peace and had hope for the future, knowing that his salvation was real.  While the last part is a prophecy about Christ, it is also a reminder that his children will not go into hell or stay in the grave.  In Philippians 4:6-11, Paul advises Christians to do the same thing, describing his own experience as a result of following that advice.  “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” 

“Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.” (Psalm 16:11)

God has given us the Holy Spirit to lead us through life.  When we allow him to fill us, we experience an ongoing joy in his presence, and then we find pleasure in everything about our lives , and it will be that way for eternity.    What more could we ever want?


1 comment:

  1. Amen, Donald! He is all we need, and to be in the center of His perfect plan for our life is the best blessing we could ever have. Thanks for the great post & God bless.

    ReplyDelete