Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Needing God’s Power

Psalm 61:1-8

To the chief Musician upon Neginah, A Psalm of David.

“Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer.  From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.” (Psalm 61:1-3)

No matter how strong or powerful a person is, there are times when he is overwhelmed by the things that are happening.  In an effort to prevent it from happening, some people try to control everything and everybody around them, and go into a panic when they are not able to control something.     

David was the King of Israel, and he still had times when he was overwhelmed by the things that were happening.    He asked that when he started feeling overwhelmed, God would direct his attention to the one who had more power than he had, to God.    Time after time God had protected him from other overwhelming situations, and if he thought about what God had done, he would not panic.    

“I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.  For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.” (Psalm 61:4-5)

David was confident in his salvation, and that he would spend eternity in God’s presence, and as a result he was confident of that he could trust God with his daily problems.  God knew his commitment, and he believed the promises that God offered those who trust and obey him. 

“Thou wilt prolong the king's life: and his years as many generations.  He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him.” (Psalm 61:6-7)

Because he believed God’s promises, David was expecting  him to protect his life here on earth, so that he would see several generations of his family.  After he died, he would spend eternity in God’s presence.    He asks that God show mercy for his sin and failures, and that the truth be brought forward to preserve him. 

“So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows.” (Psalm 61:8)

If God would enable him to stay focused on Him, David would be able to sing his praises forever, and keep his commitments and promises to God.    Without God’s help, he might well be distracted and panic, forgetting what he had promised.    


It is important for us to understand that when we depend on our own strength, we will fail to follow God.  Ephesians 2:8 states, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.”  Even the faith to be saved or follow him comes from God as a gift.   Without him to keep us focused, we will always fail.   

No comments:

Post a Comment