Thursday, July 7, 2016

Cause Everyone To Praise God

Psalm 66:1-20

To the chief Musician, A Song or Psalm.

“Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious.  Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works! through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee.  All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.” (Psalm 66:1-4)

It is by God’s power that we even exist.  Every nation on earth ought to celebrate the amazing and wonderful things God has done for them.    It is through his power that they have been able to hold their country and one day the world will realize this and worship him.

“Come and see the works of God: he is terrible in his doing toward the children of men.  He turned the sea into dry land: they went through the flood on foot: there did we rejoice in him.  He ruleth by his power for ever; his eyes behold the nations: let not the rebellious exalt themselves. Selah.   O bless our God, ye people, and make the voice of his praise to be heard: Ps 66:9 Which holdeth our soul in life, and suffereth not our feet to be moved.” (Exodus 66:5-7)

God’s people need to stop and consider the wonderful things God does on their behalf.  He enabled them to walk across the Red Sea on dry ground.  They were excited and happy at the time, but over time, the joy had faded.  God still has the same power and still works in the same way.  He knows what is going on and will not allow the wicked to take control, even in our day.  We need to stop and think about thank him for his power, realizing that he keeps us alive and protects us every day.  He will not let us down, no matter how bad things may seem. 

“For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.  Thou broughtest us into the net; thou laidst affliction upon our loins.  Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water: but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.” (Exodus 66:10-12)

The trials we have gone through have come from God.  He has purified us like silver, identifying and separating out what is not right.  The process has produced a sense of hopelessness, but the end result has been far better than where we started. 

“I will go into thy house with burnt offerings: I will pay thee my vows,  Which my lips have uttered, and my mouth hath spoken, when I was in trouble.  I will offer unto thee burnt sacrifices of fatlings, with the incense of rams; I will offer bullocks with goats. Selah.” (Psalm 66:13-15)

David would go to Gods house to celebrate, offering thanksgiving.  He will keep the promises he had made to God , even those he made when he was under duress and made the promise without considering what it would cost him.   He would not do like many do, forgetting their promises once they have attained what they wanted or changing his mind when he realized what keeping the promises would cost.   He will give the offerings regardless of the cost. 

“Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what he hath done for my soul.  I cried unto him with my mouth, and he was extolled with my tongue.  If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me: But verily God hath heard me; he hath attended to the voice of my prayer.  Blessed be God, which hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me.” (Psalm 66:16-20)

David wanted to share what God had done for him with others.  When he cried out God answered and he praised him for it.   The fact that God answered clearly implied that God had forgiven him of his sin, because he does not respond  to those who live a sinful lifestyle.  God had heard and answered his prayer and forgiven him.  If he would do that for David he will do it for others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment