Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Expecting God To Do His Part

Psalm 108:1-13

A Song or Psalm of David.
“O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.” (Psalm 108:1)

David was determined to give God the praise he deserved.  He would use his own position and power as king to see that the entire nation heard. 

“Awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.  I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations.  For thy mercy is great above the heavens: and thy truth reacheth unto the clouds.  Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: and thy glory above all the earth;  That thy beloved may be delivered: save with thy right hand, and answer me.” (Psalm 108:2-6)

David committed to getting up early, and breaking out his harp and psaltery to sing God’s praise.  He would not only sing among his own people but reach out to other nations as well, because God’s mercy reached to all nations as well as the heavens.  His goal is that God would be admired and respected more than anything in the universe, and that the other nations might see how God cared for his people. 

“God hath spoken in his holiness; I will rejoice, I will divide Shechem, and mete out the valley of Succoth.  Gilead is mine; Manasseh is mine; Ephraim also is the strength of mine head; Judah is my lawgiver; Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe; over Philistia will I triumph.” (Psalm 108:7-9)

At various times, other countries such as Syria, the Amalekites, the Ammonites the Philistines and others had seized parts of Israel.  David felt blessed, that in his day they had possession of all the land from Gilead and Manasseh on the east of Jordan to the Philistine area along the Mediterranean coast, and from the northern border with Syria to the border with Egypt.  He already controlled the Moabites and expected Edom and the Philistines to capitulate soon, giving him control of the entire region.    

“Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom?  Wilt not thou, O God, who hast cast us off? and wilt not thou, O God, go forth with our hosts?” (Psalm 108:10-11)

The Edomites had been a free nation for six hundred years before David became king, and their capital was considered almost impregnable.  Several times, the  Edomites had conquered parts of Israel.   For David to conquer them would require God’s help, even though in the past he had allowed israel to be defeated.  David expected God to give that victory at the time.   
“Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man.  Through God we shall do valiantly: for he it is that shall tread down our enemies.” (Psalm 108:11-13)

He asks God’s help because he recognized the help of other nations would be worthless.  With God’s help, they would not need the help of others because it would be God winning the victory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment