Thursday, November 10, 2016

Thankful For God’s Word

Psalm 138:1-8

A Psalm of David

I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.  I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.  In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul.” (Psalm 138:1-2)

David Had learned to be thankful.  It is a lesson many of have not learned.  As a result we do not realize how blessed we are, because we simply don’t take time to think about it.  David was determined to thank God, without reservation.  He would speak up even among other powers and religions to thank God for what he had done.    He would make a point of worshipping God, focusing on his Temple, and thanking him for being so kind and loving.

He was especially thankful for God’s word because it was and is completely true and valid for every age, as he stated in Psalm 119:160.  “Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.”   All of science and human learning is dependent on certain natural laws or principles always being true.  If they were not, we could never have made progress, because there would be no way of knowing what would happen when we do something.    God established those rules, and Jesus told us in Matthew 5:17-18, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.”  Those laws and principles will remain in effect until the end of the world. 

Learning and following those laws and principles had benefited David greatly, as he states in Psalm 119:98-100.  “Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.  I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.    I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.”   

“All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O LORD, when they hear the words of thy mouth.  Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the LORD: for great is the glory of the LORD.” (Psalm 138:4-5)

The day will come when everyone from the most powerful rulers on earth to the most unknown will acknowledge God and his word and its effect on their lives.  Over five hundred years later, Isaiah would mention the same thing in Isaiah 45:23.  Paul would refer to Isaiah’s statement in Romans 14:11-12.  “For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.   So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.”  Fortunately, God is no respecter of persons and will not play favorites. 

“Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off. “ (Psalm 138:6)

Though God rules the universe, he will take just as much time for a homeless ne’erdo well as for the most famous celebrity.  He knows how many times those famous people have depended on ther fame to enable them to get by with things, and will not let them slide. 

“Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.   The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.”  (Psalm 138:7-8)


Because God will be completely fair in his judgment, David had no fear about the outcome even though things might appear hopeless.   God will give him the strength to face whatever happens, and protect him from the hatred of his enemies.  He will make everything turn out for his good as Romans 8:28 promises.   “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”    God’s mercy is eternal, and he is willing to forgive everyone who sincerely repents when they realize they have done wrong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment