Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Paul, The Missionary


Paul had been called as the apostle to the Gentiles, as he explains in Romans 15:15-16.  “Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God, That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.”

The Jews had had God’s law for about fifteen hundred years, since Moses’ day.  Even the Sadducees, who didn’t really believe in any kind of spiritual life and just believed the law was a myth had been taught what the law required.  The Pharisees were fanatical about obeying the law and there were other groups between the two extremes, much like there are in the modern “Christian” society.  As a result even those who were not Jewish were familiar with the teachings and had a basis for understanding the gospel.

The Gentiles had not had the same teachings or contact with what God’s Law demanded.  As an evangelist or missionary and the apostle to the Gentiles, Paul was focused on reaching people who had not had that teaching, as he describes in Romans 15:17-22.  “I have therefore whereof I may glory through Jesus Christ in those things which pertain to God.  “For I will not dare to speak of any of those things which Christ hath not wrought by me, to make the Gentiles obedient, by word and deed,  Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.  Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: But as it is written, To whom he was not spoken of, they shall see: and they that have not heard shall understand.  For which cause also I have been much hindered from coming to you.” 

The persecution under Herod Agrippa starting with the martyrdom of Stephen in Acts 6 and 7 had resulted in the Christians being driven out into other areas where they started churches.  Paul had deliberately avoided going into those churches and communities, trying to reach areas which had no gospel teaching so that he wasn’t just taking over somebody else’s work.  Some of those Christians had settled in Rome, and because the need was so huge in other areas, and they already had teachers there, Paul had not yet made it to Rome

When Paul left Timothy to pastor the church at Ephesus, he directed him to “…do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry,” in II Timothy 4:5.  Part of the ministry is reaching out to people from other areas with the gospel.  Once churches had been established in the various countries that could continue to spread the gospel, there was no longer a need for evangelists or missionaries.  This left Paul free to visit Rome, and to go to other areas as we see in Romans 15:23-24.  “But now having no more place in these parts, and having a great desire these many years to come unto you; Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to see you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thitherward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company.” 

Before he could go to Rome. Paul needed to finish up a project for the churches in Macedonia and Achaia, as he describes in Romans 15:25-27.   “But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.  It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.”  T was important that the churches in foreign lands be recognized as full-fledged churches and not considered as missions.   They have the same responsibilities as other churches.

The growing tensions between Rome and Israel was causing inflation and economic instability in Israel, leaving many of the Christians struggling to survive, caught between the Jewish and Roman forces.  The Churches in Macedonia and Achaia had collected money for the Church at Jerusalem to help alleviate their struggles, entrusting it to Paul and his associates to see that it got to the people who needed it. 

When he finished this mission, Paul intended to go on to Spain.  On the way he intended to stop in Rome for a little while in hopes of encouraging them and getting to know them, as he describes in Romans 15:28-32.  “When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain.  And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.  Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me; That I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judaea; and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be accepted of the saints; That I may come unto you with joy by the will of God, and may with you be refreshed.”

Paul had two concerns about going to Jerusalem.  First, the anti-Christian faction in Israel was playing on the political unrest to gain power, and his coming might be seen as an opportunity to increase their power.  Secondly, because of the pressure, the Jewish Christians might resent his coming and not accept the gifts the Gentiles had sent.  As we see in Acts 21, both concerns were legitimate.   Paul was advised to follow Jewish customs in an attempt to placate the Jewish Christians, but was arrested anyway.  When he went to Rome, it would be as a prisoner, but he was allowed to contact the church in Rome. 




No comments:

Post a Comment