Monday, April 22, 2019

What’s Going On?


After Saul’s attempt to have him murdered, David went to Samuel for advice and protection.  Samuel had been afraid Saul would try to kill him for anointing David to be the next king, and Saul had become increasingly erratic and irrational over the years, so he didn’t dare stay at his home in Ramah.  He and David fled to Naoth, hoping to escape his attention.  Both Samuel and David were well known, and it wasn’t long before Saul learned their whereabouts, in I Samuel 19:19-21.  “And it was told Saul, saying, Behold, David is at Naioth in Ramah.  And Saul sent messengers to take David: and when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as appointed over them, the spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied.  And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also.”

Three times Saul sent officers to arrest David, but each time, the Holy Spirit so impressed them with a message from God that they stopped to share the message instead of pursuing David.   Frustrated, Saul decided he would have to kill David himself, as we see in I Samuel 19:22-24.  “Then went he also to Ramah, and came to a great well that is in Sechu: and he asked and said, Where are Samuel and David? And one said, Behold, they be at Naioth in Ramah.  And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah.  And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, Is Saul also among the prophets?”  Even the demonic spirit who was stirring up Saul’s hatred was no match for the Holy Spirit, and Saul was unable to kill David.  Like the others, he was so influenced by the Spirit’s power he stopped to prophesy, raising serious questions in the people’s minds. 

Dumbfounded by Saul’s attacks, David went to Jonathan to find out why Saul hated him so much, in I Samuel 20:1.  “And David fled from Naioth in Ramah, and came and said before Jonathan, What have I done? what is mine iniquity? and what is my sin before thy father, that he seeketh my life?”  Because they are unpredictable and seem irrational, Satanic attacks usually leave people confused about what caused them. 

Jonathan knew David had done nothing to incur such enmity and couldn’t believe his father would be that set on killing him, thinking it was just a momentary surge of uncontrollable anger.   He was sure he would have told him if it went deeper than that.  It is a common response for those raised in a home with an abusive parent.    David pointed out that Saul knew how close David and Jonathan were and would hesitate to tell him about such plans, in I Samuel 20:2-3.  “And he said unto him, God forbid; thou shalt not die: behold, my father will do nothing either great or small, but that he will show it me: and why should my father hide this thing from me? it is not so.  And David sware moreover, and said, Thy father certainly knoweth that I have found grace in thine eyes; and he saith, Let not Jonathan know this, lest he be grieved: but truly as the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, there is but a step between me and death.”

David was so insistent Johnathan agreed to check out his concerns and report back what he learned, in I Samuel 20:4-17.  “Then said Jonathan unto David, Whatsoever thy soul desireth, I will even do it for thee.

And David said unto Jonathan, Behold, to morrow is the new moon, and I should not fail to sit with the king at meat: but let me go, that I may hide myself in the field unto the third day at even.  If thy father at all miss me, then say, David earnestly asked leave of me that he might run to Bethlehem his city: for there is a yearly sacrifice there for all the family.  If he say thus, It is well; thy servant shall have peace: but if he be very wroth, then be sure that evil is determined by him.  Therefore thou shalt deal kindly with thy servant; for thou hast brought thy servant into a covenant of the LORD with thee: notwithstanding, if there be in me iniquity, slay me thyself; for why shouldest thou bring me to thy father?

And Jonathan said, Far be it from thee: for if I knew certainly that evil were determined by my father to come upon thee, then would not I tell it thee?

Then said David to Jonathan, Who shall tell me? or what if thy father answer thee roughly?

And Jonathan said unto David, Come, and let us go out into the field. And they went out both of them into the field.  And Jonathan said unto David, O LORD God of Israel, when I have sounded my father about to morrow any time, or the third day, and, behold, if there be good toward David, and I then send not unto thee, and show it thee; The LORD do so and much more to Jonathan: but if it please my father to do thee evil, then I will show it thee, and send thee away, that thou mayest go in peace: and the LORD be with thee, as he hath been with my father.  And thou shalt not only while yet I live show me the kindness of the LORD, that I die not: But also thou shalt not cut off thy kindness from my house for ever: no, not when the LORD hath cut off the enemies of David every one from the face of the earth.  So Jonathan made a covenant with the house of David, saying, Let the LORD even require it at the hand of David's enemies.  And Jonathan caused David to swear again, because he loved him: for he loved him as he loved his own soul.”

Jonathan knew God had chosen David as the next king instead of himself.  Unlike Saul, he was willing to accept God’s will, promising to warn him of Saul’s plans and asking only that he not turn against him in the future, but show respect to his family when he became king. 

No comments:

Post a Comment