Monday, August 19, 2019

God Warns Solomon Of Danger


When Solomon started out, he loved the Lord, and although he sacrificed in the high places he seemed devoted to God.  He had spent thirteen years building his own house, and seven building the temple, as well as various other things.  When they dedicated the Temple God’s spirit had so filled the building they couldn’t stay inside to minister, clearly indicating God was pleased.  After they finished dedicating, God appeared to Solomon again, stating clearly that he had accepted the Temple as his place of worship, in I Kings 9:1-3.  “And it came to pass, when Solomon had finished the building of the house of the LORD, and the king's house, and all Solomon's desire which he was pleased to do, That the LORD appeared to Solomon the second time, as he had appeared unto him at Gibeon.  And the LORD said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually.”

God also rminded him that if he would be faithful to God, he would bless his family, conveying all the promises he had made to David to Solomon, in I Kings 9:4-5.  “And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments: Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel.”

Unfortunately, it is easy for people who have been successful  with no major problems to become  proud and forget that their success came from God and begin to act on their own. God knew this would be a special temptation for Solomon, so in I Kings 9:6-9, God warned him of the danger.  “But if ye shall at all turn from following me, ye or your children, and will not keep my commandments and my statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods, and worship them: Then will I cut off Israel out of the land which I have given them; and this house, which I have hallowed for my name, will I cast out of my sight; and Israel shall be a proverb and a byword among all people: And at this house, which is high, every one that passeth by it shall be astonished, and shall hiss; and they shall say, Why hath the LORD done thus unto this land, and to this house?  And they shall answer, Because they forsook the LORD their God, who brought forth their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have taken hold upon other gods, and have worshipped them, and served them: therefore hath the LORD brought upon them all this evil.”

Solomon and his children would be leaders of Israel.  God warned that if they themselves turned away from God, as the leaders, they would cause the people to turn away from God as well, eventually causing them to lose the land God had given them, and the Temple to be destroyed.  Israel would be a nation, but they would be known as the people who lost everything because they chose to practice other religions instead of following what God commanded. 

In any organization or group, the leaders set the example as to the attitudes and moral and ethical practices of the group or organization.  Caring, moral and ethical leaders tend to develop and promote caring, moral and ethical followers while selfish, immoral and corrupt leaders develop and encourage those who are selfish, immoral and corrupt because of the example they set.  This is why God sets such stringent standards for those who are chosen to be pastors or church leaders.   When leaders are unhappy with their people they need to examine the example they are setting, whether it is in the home, school, church, business, or government.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post! Sadly, we are in a similar situation now in the US. We were founded as a Christian nation but have turned far away from God, and unless we turn back, we may face judgment just as Israel did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie. I agree completely. Sometimes I am shocked at the attitudes our politicians express.

      Delete