Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Not By Works Of Righteousness Which We Have Done

I Timothy 1:12-17

In one of his books, Louis L’Amour commented there is nothing more dangerous than a man who is absolutely convinced of his own rightness. He loses all consideration for any one else. In my years as a pastor, I have observed this in every age group and demographic. Some of the things seem totally outlandish, like the woman who would not allow her injured husband to be brought into the house because he was bleeding and she didn’t want his blood on her floor. Another refused to do housework, have children or get a job, but demanded that her husband buy her everything she wanted.

Men have beaten their wives because they were upset at their boss, or she was slow getting what they wanted. Politicians force through laws that seriously harm their people and insist it is for their own good. Employers rip off their employees and employees rip off their employer because they have convinced themselves they have a right to do so.

Proverbs 21:2 says, “Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.” God examines the intent behind what was done, and as a result, even some of what appears good is determined to be purely selfish. It is always worth checking our motives. It is also wise to check when someone accuses someone else of wrong doing to verify whether it is true. We are not surprised when children accuse someone else of doing a wrong they did, but adults are just as prone to do so. As Proverbs 18:17 tells us, “He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him.”

Before his salvation Paul had a somewhat similar view of himself. Notice his description from Philippians 3:4-6. “Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.”

In order to be saved, Paul had to give up that attitude, and accept God’s gift. He describes what it took, “But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:” (Philippians 3:7-9). When he did so, he realized that the truth was entirely different than what he had believed. He was not the paragon of virtue he imagined himself, but actually stood against what he thought he was promoting.

“And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.” (I Timothy 1:12-14)

In his zeal to enforce the Law, Paul had been much like the marshal in the previous story, so busy enforcing the law that he ignored the purpose for the law. His very practices became an abuse of the law. Fortunately, God is merciful, saving him in spite of his wickedness, recognizing that he didn’t know the difference. He began to understand what Jesus meant when he said, ”But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance,” in Matthew 9:13. He was not better than everyone else, but worse than many. Salvation is the result of Christ’s action.

“This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting. Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.” (I Timothy 1:15-17)
By saving Paul, God demonstrated that he could save anyone else who would believe. He also demonstrated that no one else could earn their own salvation, since Paul was not able to earn his own, despite his standing before the law. The rewards and the glory are completely God’s



No comments:

Post a Comment