Thursday, December 3, 2009

Victory Over Sin By Faith

Hebrews 13:20-25

“I want to do it myself.”

Nearly every child can be heard to make such a statement at some point in time. Usually their skills or strength turns out to be at best marginal and at worst totally insufficient. The job is very poorly done if finished at all. Wise parents make it a point to only let the child do the whole thing on things where failure will not cause a disaster. For less important things they may allow him to do it all, and fix it after he moves away if it is that important.

God is fully aware of the situation Paul describes in Romans 7:19-23. “For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.” Our ability to control our sin nature is dependent on our mental capability to decide not to please our flesh. The mind frequently gives in as it is strongly influenced by the flesh.

Paul finished the chapter by saying that the only solution was through Christ. “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.” (Romans 7:24-25). Hebrews 13:20-21 promises that God will do the same for us.

“Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.” (Hebrews 13:20-21)

All the glory belongs to Christ for our ability to overcome our sin. Ephesians 2:10 reminds us, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” It is the Holy Spirit in us that makes us able to dead to sin and alive to God, and removes the flesh’s influence over ourt mind. Romans 8:11-13 describes the Spirit’s work.

“But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” As a result, Galatians 5:16 promises, “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.”

“And I beseech you, brethren, suffer the word of exhortation: for I have written a letter unto you in few words.” (Hebrews 13:22) The author requests that readers not ignore the letter, which is relatively brief. Because Paul was frequently accompanied by Timothy, the following comments indicate that Paul was probably the author. He sends greetings to the leaders, and the people. He also forwards greetings from the churches in Italy.

“Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you. Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you. Grace be with you all. Amen.” (Hebrews 13:23-25)



No comments:

Post a Comment