Friday, January 22, 2010

Guarding Ones Self Against False Doctrine

II Timothy 1:13-18


Speaking to the Galatians, Paul mentions being surprised at how easily they have turned from what Paul had taught them to what others said. The claims of others were simply accepted without question. Unfortunately some of those new teachers were there to turn people away from God by perverting the Gospel.

“I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (Galatians 1:6-12)


We are not here to satisfy other people, but to please God. Many of those who teach other things are only there to please themselves or to reap their own benefit. Following their teachings leads away from Christ. Paul’s message was assuredly from God. Any contradictory teaching was necessarily from Satan.

The gospel does not change for any one, but it is especially critical that one who is going into the ministry be correct in what he believes. His message will affect not only himself, but everyone who hears him. If it is incorrect, neither he, nor his hearers will be able to please God. It is also necessary that he maintain that pure spiritual life by the Holy Spirit’s power. It is amazing how easily one can accept false doctrine.

“Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.” (II Timothy 1:13-14)

The churches in Asia had turned to other doctrine and turned away from what Paul taught, even counting his teaching as false doctrine. This turning away hurt Paul deeply, and he warns Timothy to remind him how easily it can happen if we neglect sound doctrine. II Timothy 1:15 advises, “This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.”

Paul had expended a great deal of effort on those churches, and yet they turned away. Galatians 4:13-17 describes what had happened. “Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first. And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me. Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? They zealously affect you, but not well; yea, they would exclude you, that ye might affect them.”

Over the years, we have seen many Christians and churches succumb to false teaching and turn against even those who originally established the church. Most of the changes are made to promote the new pastor, either in his reputation with his group, or to establish himself as being in control. The original pastor is degraded to make the new one look better.

Fortunately, not all fall for the false teachers. They still appreciate the teaching of the original pastor, and learn to check what is truth. Onesiphorous was one of these who held to what he had been taught, and did not count Paul as an enemy. His faithfulness was a major encouragement to Paul.

“The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain: But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me. The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.” (II Timothy 1:17-18)

Without ones like Onesiphorous, discouragement would cause many to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment