Thursday, January 21, 2010

You Can’t Stay Here

II Timothy 1:7-12

At Navajo, New Mexico, there were towering Red cliffs along the eastern side of town. My brothers and I loved to climb around on them and hike up Fuzzy Mountain. From time to time, I would find a place where I lacked confidence in my ability to climb a spot. Sometimes getting in such positions scared me, and I had to just stop and get my fear under control so I could finish my climb.

Trying to climb in the clutch of that fear distorted my judgment, and paralyzed me. Once I had my fear under control, I could make valid judgments, which restored my confidence. I could then enjoy my climb again. The more I climbed, the easier it became to control that fear, and enjoy the climbing. While the fear was entirely reasonable and legitimate, uncontrolled fear would result in paralysis and possibly injury or death.

What appears impossible to the inexperienced rock climber is not even a challenge for the expert. He knows his ability and strength. He knows his goals, and he trusts his own judgment. The novice knows none of these things, and the expert’s moves seem very foolhardy. Sometimes what God asks us to do is the same way. To the unbelievers it seems ridiculous to try. They have no idea what we have to base our actions on. God has provided for us to not give in to fear.

“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (II Timothy 1:7)

My brother Keith was less troubled by fear of heights than I or my younger brother. Frequently we allowed him to go first, watching carefully how he did it. His success encouraged us, and observation helped us to see things we might not have otherwise seen. Others who went with us turned away convinced it was a waste of time, but our observations never failed to make it possible for us to get there. Paul is setting an example for Timothy to follow, demonstrating that success is possible. By following the same path, he can succeed but it will require going through the same afflictions.

“Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel: Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.” (II Timothy 1:8-11)

We do not face these afflictions alone, but in the power of God. He provided salvation, not because of what we did but for his own purposes, and had made all the arrangements before the world was created, although it was not revealed until Christ came. Paul was appointed to minister to those who were not Jews. It was essential he accomplish the task if he was to do what he had been called for.

“For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.” (II Timothy 1:12)

Paul’s efforts are based on faith in God. Even should he appear to fail, God will have recorded his efforts and will not forget. This is what Jesus promised in Matthew 16:24-27. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

We took some other boys climbing. One of them gave way to panic in a spot where it was difficult to get to him. By placing myself between him and the drop off I was finally able to convince him that he wouldn’t fall as long as I was there. Had he not trusted me and controlled his fear, sooner or later his grip would have given way and he would have fallen. The very effort to preserve his life would have been fatal. He had to take the risk to survive.

The same is true with our eternity. Unless we are willing to trust Christ to preserve us, there is no hope. We will lose everything if we try to stay where we are, regardless how far we’ve come.

No comments:

Post a Comment