Thursday, April 15, 2010

Assurance of Sanctification

Romans 8:29-32

I have two daughters. When I would pick them up to go out and eat I would ask where they wanted to eat. I was nearly certain tht Charity would say Taco Bell. Tabitha was almost certain to say Arby’s. Even though I knew what their choices would be, I still gave them the choice. Occasionally they surprised me, saying Big Cheese Pizza. When they did, I knew without doubt they wanted a cheese pizza. Even though I asked, I could have called ahead and predestinated a pizza because I foreknew their choice.

I hesitated to commit because they sometimes surprised me. God is never surprised, because he knows absolutely what we will choose, yet he still gives us the choice. Had I ordered ahead and been wrong about their choice, I would have had to choose between taking away their choice and buying the pizza and what they chose. God would be willing to do so, but he never has to.

“For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.” (Romans 8:29)

Had I been able to predict their choices with certainty, to foreknow what they wanted, I could have had a table prepared, and the pizza already cooked, and still have given the girls exactly what they chose. The all knowing God is capable of doing so. He doesn’t have to force us to eat what we didn’t want. Furthermore, He was able to make the order before the foundation of the world. Ephesians 1:4-5 declares, “According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will.” Just as I could have made the decision as to what we ate, but chose to give my girls their choice. God has exercised his sovereignty by giving us the choice whether we wished to be saved or not. He magnified his omniscience, by being able to predict with certainty.

“Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.” (Romans 8:30)

In order to take the girls out to eat, I had to call at the door to let them know I was there, transport them to the restaurant, and then get them seated at the table. God didn’t just order our salvation, he called us. He then justified us, taking away the things that kept us away from God. Finally he glorified us, putting us into a position where we can enjoy what we chose and he desired for us.

“What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.” (Romans 8:31-33)

When I took the girls out to eat, no one could refuse them admittance because they were to young, or didn’t have money enough because I was paid and accompanied them. The girls had no reason to complain because they were getting exactly what they wanted.

If God has done the same for us, giving his own son to make it all possible, we can expect him to do what ever is necessary, and no one has the right to deny him the privilege, or even to say we don’t deserve it. It is his choice. He is the one who said we could have salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment