Friday, April 9, 2010

The Conflict of Flesh And Spirit

Romans 7:14-25

We are horrified when we hear about a tiger attacking one of their trainers, such as occurred with Siegfried and Roy. The chimpanzee which ripped of part of a woman’s face attracted a lot of attention. People were shocked that a killer whale would kill his trainer. My uncle was stunned that a bobcat he had kept for some time as a pet would attack him.

All these animals had been raised and trained to associate with people on a regular basis. What is often ignored is that their behavior had been modified to meet peoples desires, but their basic nature had not been changed. The trained tiger was still a tiger, even though he had been trained to act like a large domestic cat. The killer whale is still a killer whale, a natural predator of other animals. Being trained to do tricks did not eliminate the natural instinct to kill other creatures.

In the wild, the chimpanzee would react violently to force by another chimpanzee in self defense. He reacted to a human in the same way. The bobcat would naturally attack any perceived threat when cornered. We may never know what triggered their actions, but the actions are completely natural and instinctive. It is their nature to do such things. Such outbursts are to be expected.

Humans are by nature sinful, as a result of Adam’s sin. When they behave in a natural manner, they will commit sin. They may regret it later, but the natural instinct is to commit the sin first. Often they are like the cat who had cared for a pet rat when it was small, and obviously cared for him. One day, in playing with him, she jumped at him and when he attempted to escape, grabbed him by the neck and shook him. She appeared broken hearted that he die, having had no intention of hurting him, but she had reacted in her natural way. Sin is our natural way. Paul describes his own experience.

“For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.” (Romans 7:14-16)

The standard of right and wrong is spiritual, but thanks to Adam’s sin, we have a carnal or fleshly nature. The fact that we do what we know is wrong and desire to avoid acknowledges that there is a need for such a standard. Otherwise there would be no limits. Often, there is no conscious choice to do wrong, it is done from instinct or force of habit. A girl who sucked her thumb described this, saying she didn’t want to suck it, it just went in her mouth. Finally, applying a spicy hot concoction worked to help her quit by reminding her when she put her thumb in her mouth. This is Paul’s experience with sin.

“Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.” (Romans 7:17-20)

Just as many who wish to quit smoking or lose weight have found, desire, will power, or knowing the dangers are often not enough to produce permanent change in behavior. One woman who hadn’t smoked in several years spoke of an almost overwhelming urge to smoke. Alcoholics Anonymous tells their members they are still alcoholics, they are just not drinking, but that if they let down their guard, they will go right back. The tendency to sin is always present.

“I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.” (Romans 7:21-23)

It is frustrating and disheartening to always face the risk of reverting to the old way, when change is so desired. A man who is a former alcoholic lives every day in fear that he will revert to drinking. It has made his life miserable. Christians who live every day in fear of sinning are miserable as well. How many go to the altar every week to rededicate themselves to Christ and ask forgiveness for some sin? After all Ephesians 2: 11 tells us, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” What is wrong with us?

“O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.” (Romans 7:24-25)

It is not hopeless, despite the appearance. Christ will deliver us from this problem. The body will always tend to yield to sin, but it does not have to control us or define who we are. We don’t have to live in this state of frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment