Monday, May 2, 2016

Baring His Soul To God

Psalm 25:1-22

A Psalm of David.

“Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.   O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.  Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.” (Psalm 25:1-3)

David starts this Psalm by baring his soul to God.  He is trusting God not to betray his secrets or break his promise.   He trusts that God will always keep his promise to anyone who trusts in him, but asks that those who do not trust and refuse to obey miss out on the promises and learn the consequences of their sin. 
“Show me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.  Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.” (Psalm 25:4-5)

The natural, sinful nature does not naturally do what is right.  David asked that God would not only show, but also teach him what is true and right, guiding him along the proper path, because is the God and author of his salvation, and David wants ot please him.   There is no one better to learn from than the one who designed the system. 

“Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old.  Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O LORD.” (Psalm 25:6-7)

David was very aware of his sinful nature and that he had not lived up to God’s standard.  He asked that God forgive him for the times he failed and not hold them against him.  Such forgiveness would not be based on any right or effort of David, but simply on God’s love and fact David wanted to please him. 

“Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.  The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.  All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.” (Psalm 25:8-10)

God is inherently good and hates evil, but at the same time he does not want anyone to be destroyed, as I Peter 3:9 tells us.  “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”  He will show anyone who is willing how to do what is right.  Those who are humble enough to admit they need help will be taught what they need to know.  For those who will do what he teaches, he will teach them more and have mercy when they mess up.

“For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great. “ (Psalm 25:11)

David realized there was nothing he could do for some of his sins. such as committing adultery with Bathsheba or having Uriah murdered.  He had known they were wrong when he committed them, and there was no excuse.  He asks God to forgive it just because he is such a loving, powerful God, even though he hates sin.

“What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.  His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.  The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will show them his covenant.” (Psalm 25:12-14)

Any person who has a proper respectful fear of God will be taught to live the way he has chosen.  He will live a life of peace and his descendants will be blest .  He will learn things about God others never understand, and will understand what God has promised as a result of obeying him. 

“Mine eyes are ever toward the LORD; for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.  Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.  The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.  Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.  Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.” (Psalm 25:15-19)

Although he has sinned and still does, David was focused on pleasing god.  as a result he expected God to keep him from getting caught in Satan’s net.  He asks that he would continue to have mercy on him, because he was finding it difficult.  His problems seemed magnified out of proportion, and he asks that God forgive them and take into account all those who were attacking him. 

“O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.  Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.  Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles.” (Psalm 25:20-22)


David closes by repeating his request that God not betray his confidences in baring his soul, even though evil things were included.  He asks that Gods righteousness and integrity keeps him from being destroyed. And that God would protect not only himself but all Israel.  

2 comments:

  1. Praise God that He is trustworthy, that He knows all about us, and that He loves and forgives us anyway. Thanks for the great post & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laurie. It just emphasizes how much he loves us.

    ReplyDelete