Thursday, May 5, 2016

God Hears And Responds

Psalm 28:1-9

A Psalm of David.

“Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.  Hear the voice of my supplications, when I cry unto thee, when I lift up my hands toward thy holy oracle.” (Psalm 28:1-2)

Devotees of most religions practice some form of prayer or communication with their gods.  Because many of their gods are carved statues or inanimate objects, or some kind of animal or planet, they have no expectation of getting a response to their prayer.  The difference between our God and theirs is that our God is alive and able to respond.  If he doesn’t respond, we are really no better off than those who have rejected God and are destined for hell.  We are just as much on our own as those who worship other gods are.  David asked that God would hear his prayer asking him for guidance, so that he could know what was right.

John 9:31 states, “Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.”  Unlike other gods, our God is able to hear and listens to those who serve him, although he doesn’t heed the prayers of those who do not.  I John 5:14-15 tells us, “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.”  He not only hears those who serve him, he also responds to their prayers.  What a wonderful promise.

“Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts.  Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavours: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert.  Because they regard not the works of the LORD, nor the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them, and not build them up.” (Psalm 28:3-5)

David asks that he not be enticed by the things that the wicked seek, promising friendship to their neighbors while looking for a chance to rip them off.  He asks that such people get their just desserts, suffering a life in the desert where nothing grows because they have no respect for God or his power.  He will not reward their evil but will destroy it. 

“Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications.  The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.” (Psalm 28:6-7)

Not only is God able to hear, he has heard and answered.  He has provided protection and comfort, and has given direction when it was needed.  Because David trusted him, God has helped him in his struggles.  As a result he is rejoicing, and singing God’s praises. 

“The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed.  Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.” (Psalm 28:8-9)

God is the strength of his people, and he is strong enough to save them whenever they need it.  David just asks that he would save them because they are his people, supplying their needs and promoting them in the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment