Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Demonstrate Your Love

I Corinthians 16:5-24

Governor Bill Richardson decided to run for president of the United States. Almost two years before the election. He began trying to build his support base. He would be out of the governors office for weeks at a time. Many people began to resent his neglect of his primary job, feeling that he was in effect saying that his political aspirations were more important than our state. The attitude is very much the same as that of many Christians, always looking for an opportunity to take a more important role.

Paul is very careful to let the church at Corinth know that although he knew that they wanted and needed him to spend some time with them, it was more important that he do the job God had given him. His love for the people could never be allowed to supercede his love for God. Once it was completed, he would come if God allowed him to. He wouldn’t leave where he was until directed by God, because it was an opportunity, despite many problems.

“Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia. And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go. For I will not see you now by the way; but I trust to tarry a while with you, if the Lord permit. But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost. For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries.” (I Corinthians 16:5-9)

Timothy was a very young pastor, and there was a tendency to look down on him because of his youth. Paul warns the church not to do so, because he is doing God’s work just as Paul is. In fact, Paul describes him as being the only one who is more concerned with the things of God than with his own in Philippians 2:19-21.

"Now if Timotheus come, see that he may be with you without fear: for he worketh the work of the Lord, as I also do. Let no man therefore despise him: but conduct him forth in peace, that he may come unto me: for I look for him with the brethren. As touching our brother Apollos, I greatly desired him to come unto you with the brethren: but his will was not at all to come at this time; but he will come when he shall have convenient time.” (I Corinthians 16:10-12)

Paul had hoped that Apollos would be able to come, but like Paul, he could not justify leaving the work God had given him just to please Paul, which Paul understood. Paul did not have authority to override what God was directing Apollos to do, and Apollos’ love for God supercedes love for even the greatest Christians. Apollos has promised to come when he is free, but in the meantime the church needs to continue following God. Their faith and strength are not dependent on Paul, Apollos, or Timothy. There are men such as Stephanas among them who have devoted themselves to serving God. They need to submit to such men’s leadership rather than depending on outsiders.

“Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. Let all your things be done with charity. I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) That ye submit yourselves unto such, and to every one that helpeth with us, and laboureth.“ (I Corinthians 16:13-16)

Those who meet physical needs ought to be acknowledged for their part in the ministry just as those who do the spiritual work are. Without their part, much of the other would not get done. By taking away that pressure, they are very much a blessing.

“I am glad of the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus: for that which was lacking on your part they have supplied. For they have refreshed my spirit and yours: therefore acknowledge ye them that are such.” (I Corinthians 16:17-18)

Christians are to love each other, even those who are not part of the same church. The affection ought to be openly shown, in an appropriate manner. It must not be faked, it must not become a ritual.

The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house. All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss. The salutation of me Paul with mine own hand.” (I Corinthians 16:19-21)

We are to separate ourselves from those called Christians who do not love God as Paul says, “If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.” (I Corinthians 16:22). He is to be counted as accursed of God. Romans 16:17-18 gives the same basic instruction. “Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.”

We are to take such action only after trying to show the truth, but if they refuse to listen, it is their responsibility. "A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself,” (Titus 3:10-11). Don’t waste your time trying to change someone’s mind who has chosen not to listen. Paul closes with the following assurances in I Corinthians 16:23-24.

“The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment