Friday, April 24, 2009

Introduction to II Corinthians

Greetings
II Corinthians 1:1-2

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia: Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.”

The letter is from both Paul and Timothy. Paul is an apostle, a special messenger from God. Although he did not accompany the other apostles from the beginning, he was chosen of God and taught by Christ. He describes himself as an apostle born out of due season. Galatians 1:15-19 describes his training. “But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.”

The apostles recognized the need for a replacement for Judas Iscariot, described in Psalm 109:1-20, and they selected Matthias as a temporary replacement in Acts 1:15-26. God chose Paul as the permanent replacement. It was not Paul’s decision.

Timothy is a much younger man, to the point that Paul warned him to behave himself in such a manner as to cause people to look up to him as an example rather than down on him as just a kid. Paul warns the church to treat him with respect as a man of God doing the work and earning that respect in I Corinthians 16:10-11.

The letter is directed to the church at Corinth, and to the Christians throughout the entire area of Achaia. Where I Corinthians was written in response to problems that had arisen in the church as a result of an unspiritual attitude, II Corinthians is written to encourage the church in maintaining and strengthening their spiritual walk. They had fulfilled some of what Paul had directed them to do in I Corinthians, but other things still needed work. The focus is on strengthening their own spiritual walk and leading others into a spiritual walk.

The desire is that they may experience his wonderful gift to the full, and the peace that comes from that relationship. It will never be possible to lead others to the spiritual state without attaining it yourself. They could only lead others as far as they had gone themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment