Thursday, April 9, 2009

You Must Be Crazy

I Corinthians 14:20-25


A Chinese missionary visiting one church heard a man speaking fluent Chinese, but was shocked at the blasphemy that was spoken, denying that Christ was the only natural son of God, and that he was the Savior. Upon inquiry, he was informed that the speaker had no understanding of what he had said. How can one know that he is not saying something similar if he doesn’t know what he is saying.

I John 4:2-3 gives instructions on how to identify whether a spirit is fro God or satan. “Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.” Clearly in the example cited, the man was not acting under the Holy Spirit’s power, but how is one to find out if he doesn’t understand what is said.

“For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.” (I Corinthians 14:14-17)

If God is the only one who understands me, how are other people to know whether to say amen in agreement with what I have prayed or not, since he doesn’t understand. If I pray in a language I understand, I can benefit, although no one else does, but if I’m praying in a language I don’t understand, even I get no benefit. I don’t understand what was said to receive any benefit, and can only hope it was pleasing to God. As a result, Paul chose only to pray or sing in a language he could understand, especially in public, but apparently in private as well.

We know that Paul spoke several languages fluently, and spoke constantly to those of other countries. How many times did he need a language he had not already learned? God met that need many times from what Paul says.

I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.” (I Corinthians 14:18-19)

Though Paul was certain his gift came from God, speaking in an unknown tongue would be of little value, so little that 5 understood words are worth more than 10,000 words that are not understood. A complete sermon that no one understands is just noise, as far as the people are concerned. No one learned anything. The time was wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment