Friday, May 8, 2009

I'm Strongest When I Can't Do It

II Corinthians 11:32-12-11

We had a half beagle when I was about 10. He saw a half grown kitten and gave chase. Panicked, the kitten fled under son machinery and the dog turned away with such a proud demeanor, as if he’d really accomplished a major victory. Just as he turned, the old mother cat hit him broadside and knocked him rolling, clawing and biting viciously the whole time. He fled the scene even more precipitously than the kitten had.

It was hilarious to watch him try to chase cats from that time on. He would bark and run a few steps toward the cat, then stop to check that the mother wasn’t watching before going further. After a few more steps, he’d stop and check again. He never got where he could joyously give chase again, because he had to keep looking over his shoulder.

Sometimes, we get proud of what we’ve done, like the dog, then discover we were not nearly so great as we thought we were. What we thought was a great accomplishment turns out to be a source of shame rather than pride. Paul had many experiences, but they were not something to take pride in. He describes one.

“In Damascus the governor under Aretas the king kept the city of the Damascenes with a garrison, desirous to apprehend me: And through a window in a basket was I let down by the wall, and escaped his hands. It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.” (II Corinthians 11:32-12:1)

Paul could rejoice and take pleasure in what God did in other peoples lives. Talking about what he’d done himself, on the other hand might lead others to set him on a pedestal and focus on what he said, rather than on Christ. Again, Paul gives an example.

“I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven. And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities. For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.” (II Corinthians 12:2-6)


Even though the things he said were true, human accomplishments and experiences are not demonstrations of God’s power. It is foolish to focus on them. By focusing on the things he was unable to do himself, his infirmities, people would see God’s power, rather than Paul’s. God caused Paul to have physical problems in order to prevent people admiring him too much because of all the things God showed him.

"And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (II Corinthians 12:7-9)

God refused to heal Paul of his affliction, because it was for the purpose of showing God’s power. The infirmity was essential for experiencing, and demonstrating the power of God. When we can cause a result, God is not seen.

“Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.” (II Corinthians 12:10-11)

Paul rejoiced in the problems because they gave opportunity to see God’s power, fo himself, and for others. The only reason for Paul to bring up what had happened to him was for them to understand that the experiences others were claiming not special to them. As I Corinthians 10:13 says, “There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.” The experiences do not set one above another. Everyone who serves God has similar experiences, and victory is obtained the same way.

Since we cannot see Paul’s physical problem and be repelled by it, God has given us glimpses of his sin in a few areas to keep us from exalting Paul too highly as well. Acts 21:3-4 describes an instance where Paul was told by the Holy Spirit not to go to Jerusalem. “Now when we had discovered Cyprus, we left it on the left hand, and sailed into Syria, and landed at Tyre: for there the ship was to unlade her burden. And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.” Paul went any way, even though others also warned him.

Paul tells us in I Corinthians 3:1-3 that conflict between Christians proves an unspiritual state, and later emphasizes the need to forgive and encourage others. yet in Acts 15, he fights with Barnabas over whether to give Mark a second chance. The conflict becomes so severe that He and Barnabas split up over it. Paul was only a human, like the rest of us. Neither he, nor any other is to be considered greater than others. This was one of the areas where the Corinthians had not followed Paul’s directions and it is still a problem in our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment