Thursday, May 21, 2009

Paul’s Qualifications to Speak of Law and of Grace

Galatians 1:11-2:10

“But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (Galatians 1:11-12)

Paul is very careful to make the Galatians, and us, aware that what he taught was not what he had been taught by other men. Like the other apostles, he had been taught by Jesus Christ himself. As an apostle born out of due season, God had to use a special method of teaching Paul, revealing himself to him after the crucifixion. Paul’s teaching was not based on collaboration between himself and the other apostles. The fact that he learned and taught the same things is proof of the truth of his, and the other’s claims of having gotten the message from God. He starts by describing his early life and training in Jewish law.

“For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it: And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.” (Galatians 1:13-14)

He gives more detail in Philippians 3:4-6. “Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Paul had been one of the most dedicated Jews, of the strictest group, and totally opposed to Christianity. As far as the law was concerned, he fulfilled the requirements. Unlike many of the others, he had apparently never followed Jesus before his crucifixion. His acceptance of Christ was the result of a miraculous action by God, and surprised everyone.

“But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.” (Galatians 1:15-20)

Before ever meeting the apostles, Paul went into Arabia where he was taught by Christ. He did not go to Jerusalem until three years after his salvation, and only stayed a short time then. He went from there to his home in Tarsus, then to Antioch, and he and Barnabas went as missionaries without further contact with the apostles. The Churches in Judea only knew that he was no longer killing Christians, but preaching instead.

“Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia; And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ: But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed. And they glorified God in me.” (Galatians 1:21-24)

A group of men came from Judea, teaching that salvation required partial adherence to the Jewish law or salvation was not possible. It led to serious conflict, resulting in Paul, Barnabas, Titus, and others were led to go to Jerusalem to confer with the other apostles, about this and verify that he was teaching the truth.

“Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also. And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain. But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised: And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.” (Galatians 2:1-5)

Acts 15 describes the meeting and conclusions that were arrived at. The claims of these false brethren, who were actually Pharisees instead, are lgiven in Acts 15:5. “But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” Their claims were firmly rejected, with Peter accusing them of tempting God by their sin. “And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.” (Acts 15:9-11)

To have yielded on this point would have been to forsake and give up the truth of the Gospel and what Christ has done for us. We would no longer be living by faith in his work. His work is not sufficient if we have to keep the law as well.

The meeting in Jerusalem reassured Paul that he was in fact teaching the truth properly. The other apostles found no deficiencies in his teaching. He was already doing what they recommended as far as other things,. It was an encouragement to both the church at Jerusalem, and to the churches among the gentiles.

“But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me: But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision. Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.” (Galatians 2:6-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment