Monday, May 18, 2009

Like a Lioness with Cubs

II Corinthians 12:11-21

I watched part of a documentary about Lions. When the cubs are small, they are blind and unable to do much, but before long their eyes open and they begin to gain strength. Their curiosity grows and they want to explore. The mother lion must eat in order to survive and produce food for the cubs. This requires leaving them alone for long periods of time, To prevent their straying and being killed by other predators, she has to convince them to control their curiosity. Sometimes it is necessary to physically punish a cub who does not want to stay where he is told. Out of love, that lioness will inflict painful swats when needed to convince them that they must stray in the den.

Sometimes caring for the cubs requires that she do without herself. Other times she may risk her life to protect the cubs from a male lion. Out of love for the cubs, she willing sacrifices her own comfort and even her life for the cubs. It is what normal parents do. Leaders in a church ought to have a similar attitude toward their people. Paul is willing to do whatever is required to bring the Corinthians to maturity.

“I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing. Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds. For what is it wherein ye were inferior to other churches, except it be that I myself was not burdensome to you? forgive me this wrong.” (II Corinthians 12:11-13)

In an effort to convince them not to just follow everyone who comes with an impressive story, Paul has compared his physical experiences with the supposed experiences of some of those who are seeking to lead them. He has also performed all the signs given for the Apostles as proof of his apostleship. In every spiritual area, they are as strong and equipped as any one else. as he told them in I Corinthians 1:5-7. “That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge; Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

The only area Paul had left untouched was in their responsibility to support those who taught them. He asks that they forgive him for this omission, because he had done it with the intention of helping them to establish their faith before taking on the responsibility. He wanted them to know that he was not just there to get some money from them, but because he loved them.

“Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children. And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile.” (II Corinthians 12:14-16)

He had not asked for money when he was there to start the church. He did not ask for money in his first letter, and he is not asking for money in this letter. When Paul could not come and sent others, they had not asked for anything either, for the same reasons.

“Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you? I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother. Did Titus make a gain of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps? Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying.” (II Corinthians 12:17-19)

Paul had written this letter in hopes of correcting some problems so that they would be living up to their exalted position as children of God. His Fear was that if he should happen to come, he’d find that they were living according to the flesh, rather than in the Spirit.

For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.” (II Corinthians 12:20-21)

Like the lioness, Paul had the fear that even after giving so much for the church, they might well expose themselves to predators who would destroy them, leading them into various types of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment