Monday, July 11, 2011

An Orderly Transfer Of Leadership

Acts 20:17-28

“And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders of the church.” (Acts 20:17)

It had only been a about a year since Paul had left Ephesus, after spending nearly three years there. Wanting to be in Jerusalem for Pentecost, and having only a few weeks left to get there Paul decided to skip going back to Ephesus.

“And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons, Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews: And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have showed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Acts 20:18-21)

Paul reviewed the ministry he’d had among the Ephesians and in Asia, and the attitude he’d demonstrated during the entire time. The most obvious change in a spirit filled person is the attitude. Paul had been changed from a proud Pharisee to an humble and spirit filled man. While we know about the conflict with Demetrius and the Craftsman that precipitated Paul’s leaving Ephesus, we only know about some of the other struggles from incidental mentions in other books, because these things were only incidental to the ministry and not something to be bragged about or dwelt on. We know no details, but in I Corinthians 15:32, Paul refers to having been thrown to wild animals, to make the point that it would be wasted there was no resurrection. In his humility, Paul and Luke made no issue of it, because what happened to him was irrelevant. I Corinthians 11:23-26 describes some of the other things that had happened to him before this time.

Despite such severe opposition and struggles, Paul had continued to preach and teach both Jews and Gentiles about Christ, personally speaking in public places as well as visiting from house to house. His message had been the same every place he went, that people must repent, and he had not limited himself just to preaching salvation, but had kept back nothing about faith and obedience to God, but fulfilled Matthew 28:20 by “…teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.”

“And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there: Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.” (Acts 20:22-24)

Paul had a tremendous burden for his own people, even to the point of giving up his own salvation if it would cause them to be saved, as he described in Romans 9. Despite that great burden, God had not called Paul to the Jews, since both Jesus and the other apostles had focused on Jerusalem for many years. The Holy Spirit had already warned Paul of the dangers he would face if he went, but Paul wanted to go to satisfy himself that he had done everything he could to reach them, even if it cost him his life.

“And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more. Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.” (Acts 20:25-27)

Knowing that God had warned him specifically of the danger, and what he’d been through before, Paul knew that even if he survived, he was unlikely to ever return. He’d done his best to teach them what they needed to know, and it was now up to them to move ahead on their own, knowing that he would no longer be available. Inevitably, this comes to every church, and Paul reminds them of their responsibilities.

“Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.” (Acts 20:28)

The word pastor means “shepherd”. The sheepherder’s primary job is to see that the sheep are fed. He is responsible for the health of every sheep under his care. While lambing season may be more exciting, he must not neglect the other sheep during lambing season. Peter gave similar instructions in I Peter 5:1-3. “The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.”

As one of the flock, it is critical that the pastor maintain his own spiritual strength as well, because he will be unable to care for and protect them if he is spiritually weak himself. He must not get the idea he is superior to the others. God will not be pleased with a man who has not taken care of his flock, even if he has a great crop of lambs.

Luke 12:42-48 describes responsibilities of the overseer or bishop and the consequences of not fulfilling he responsibilities. “And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.

But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken; The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.”


Paul had set the example of a spirit filled leader, but now it was up to the leaders of the church to take over and do the job they had been given. Having had a year in which hey could call on him at any time, they can now assume full responsibility. God is not the author of confusion according to I Corinthians 14:33, and such an orderly transition is typical of the Holy Spirit’s leadership.

1 comment:

  1. Yes the Holy Spirit always does things in an orderly fashion.
    So what does that say about the state the church is in today?
    I could sum it up in,one word,CONFUSION.
    I have seen some really wild church services and I have seen some services that were SO dry, that I was sure that the pews could only be occupied by dead mens bones. There was no life there.

    Also I notice that even back then, Paul had to tell them not to serve God for money( filthy lucre)so apparently it's been going on a LONG time, even though it seems new to us.
    It's kind of scary the more the Lord teaches me, the greater the responsibility I feel.
    And yet I just want more.
    I can't help but feel the responsibility that goes with it, even as a lay person.

    When I see some of the pastors that could care less, I fear for them. They are not seeing themselves the way that God sees them.
    One day soon they will and if I were them I would not be wishing for the day of the Lord.
    Not until I cleaned my life up and prepared myself.
    Gerie

    ReplyDelete