Monday, July 25, 2011

Sharing His Testimony

Acts 26:1-23

Unlike Festus, Agrippa was well versed in Jewish tradition and culture, being the great grandson of Herod the great and of mixed Jewish heritage. In addition, he had been king since shortly after his father’s death in Acts 12. As a result he was curious about what Paul had to say, and Festus’ question gave an opportunity to learn more.

“Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Thou art permitted to speak for thyself. Then Paul stretched forth the hand, and answered for himself: I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews: Especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech thee to hear me patiently.” (Acts 26:1-3)

Paul welcomed the opportunity to respond because Agrippa was familiar with the Jewish custom, as well as the story of Jesus’ ministry and the growth of the church. Rather than denouncing the Jews or declaring his innocence, Paul shares his testimony as to why he became a Christian.

“My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.” (Acts 26:4-7)

Having been raised his entire life to believe that God would send a redeemer and set Israel free, and acting in accordance with that belief, Paul is now imprisoned because of that very belief. The prophecies had stated that Messiah would raise from the dead, and Paul believed that Jesus had done so. If God could create the universe and part the red Sea, why couldn’t he raise Jesus from the dead? Paul had been as skeptical as anyone originally.

“Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.” (Acts 26:8-11)

Paul had been even worse than the Jews who accused him, going out and seeking Christians to destroy. Like many others, Paul had believed God had power to do things but was determined that God could only do it Paul’s preconceived way. Since God had not done it that way, he was determined God could not have done it, and was determined to destroy anyone who said God had.

“Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests, At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. ” (Acts 26:12-15)

Only when the Holy Spirit worked in a miraculous manner did Paul consider that he might be wrong. No amount of logic could get him to reconsider his opinion. When God dealt with him, Paul had been forced to face the possibility he was wrong. When he asked who he was, he revealed himself to be the very Jesus Paul was so opposed to. The facts had not changed, but for the first time Paul stopped to look at them. Paul then skips ahead to the message Ananias gave him as to God’s purpose.

“But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.” (Acts 26:16-18)

God had saved Paul that way so he could be a witness of what he’d seen God do and share what God would show him. He promised to protect him from both Gentiles and Jews in the process so that they could be saved as well.

“Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: But showed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.” (Acts 26:19-20)

Paul had spent his life since that time sharing the gospel with both Jews and Gentiles. Like he had been, the Jews were determined to destroy any one who did not accept their idea of God’s working, and attacked Paul for his teaching, even though he was not contradicting them.

“For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me. Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come: That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should show light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.” (Acts 26:21-23)

He has not changed his message, and it is not different than what the Old Testament Prophets said. They had prophesied that Christ would be persecuted and killed, and would raise from the dead. It just was not what the preconceived ideas stated. When we approach a subject with our minds made up, we tend to ignore any facts that don‘t support our position.

No comments:

Post a Comment