Tuesday, October 11, 2016

God’s Word Gives Wisdom

Psalm 119:97-120

MEM

O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.  Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.  I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation.

I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.  I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.  I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.  How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!  Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.“ (Psalm 119:97-104)

God created the world and designed it to follow certain principles or laws.  David had spent the time learning and thinking about those principles.  As a result, was able to make wiser decisions than his enemies because he constantly acted based on God’s laws.    He was able to understand mor than his teachers, or the wise men of the past, because he kept those laws.  He had made every effort to avoid going against those precepts because he knew it was God who taught him.  The more he learned, the more he enjoyed his understanding.  He learned to hate the false ideas. 


NUN

“Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.  I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.

I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word.  Accept, I beseech thee, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me thy judgments.  My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.

The wicked have laid a snare for me: yet I erred not from thy precepts.  Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.  I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, even unto the end.” (Psalm 119:105-112)

God’s word is like a light or lamp enabling us to see where to step to avoid danger.  David was committed to following what it said.  He was constantly struggling with things around him, but he asked that God would accept his freely given praises, as being real and make him feel alive despite the discouragement, teaching him to deal with things properly.  He wanted to follow God completely. 

Though the wicked had tried to trip him up, David had been able to stay on the path and do what God said.  He was committed to make following God’s precepts a tradition or custom because they were such a blessing to him.  His intention was to follow Gods laws completely. 


SAMECH

“I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.  Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.  Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.

Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.  Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually.

Thou hast trodden down all them that err from thy statutes: for their deceit is falsehood.  Thou puttest away all the wicked of the earth like dross: therefore I love thy testimonies.  My flesh trembleth for fear of thee; and I am afraid of thy judgments.” (Psalm 119:113-120)

David had learned to hate the worthless and meaningless theories and philosophies of the world.  It was God and his word that protected him from the worlds attacks.  The wicked should get away because he was going to serve God. 

He asks that God would uphold him as he had promised so he would not be ashamed of having trusted God.  As a result David’s faith and respect would grow.  He had seen what happened to those who did not follow God’s commands, and the consequences of their ideas and philosophies.  He was afraid when he thought about the consequences of not following God’s will. 


No comments:

Post a Comment