Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Waiting For God To Respond

Psalm 119:121-144

AIN

“I have done judgment and justice: leave me not to mine oppressors.  Be surety for thy servant for good: let not the proud oppress me. Mine eyes fail for thy salvation, and for the word of thy righteousness.  Deal with thy servant according unto thy mercy, and teach me thy statutes.  I am thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.

It is time for thee, LORD, to work: for they have made void thy law.  Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.  Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.” (Psalm 119:121-128)

David had done his best to serve God, but it seemed like his enemies were getting the victory.  Perhaps this was written about the time of I Samuel 23, when David followed God yet even the people he helped turned on him, betraying him to Saul and Saul’s army was so close that there seemed no hope of escape.  He desperately needed God to come to his aid, or he might well not survive the day.  Israel was completely ignoring God’s Law, trying to have David murdered at Saul’s command.  David believed the promises, and loved the study, but he was in place where he needed more than theory of trusting God.  He needed to see God work immediately. 


PE

“Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.  The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

I opened my mouth, and panted: for I longed for thy commandments.  Look thou upon me, and be merciful unto me, as thou usest to do unto those that love thy name.  Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.  Deliver me from the oppression of man: so will I keep thy precepts.  Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; and teach me thy statutes.   Rivers of waters run down mine eyes, because they keep not thy law.” (Psalm 119:129-136)

The promises in God’s word were so wonderful David wanted to keep them to see if they were true, but the more he understood, the more he understood about life, and how God intended things.  He began to hunger to know more.  He asked God to bless him as he had done those who served in the past such as Moses or Joshua or Gideon, and that he would be able to understand the things of God like they had, so that he would not fall under the power of any sin.  If God would give him the freedom, he would do his best to serve.  He was weeping, knowing how far short he had already fallen. 


TZADDI

“Righteous art thou, O LORD, and upright are thy judgments.  Thy testimonies that thou hast commanded are righteous and very faithful.

My zeal hath consumed me, because mine enemies have forgotten thy words.  Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.  I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts.  Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy law is the truth.

Trouble and anguish have taken hold on me: yet thy commandments are my delights.  The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live.” (Psalm 119:137-144)

God is totally righteous.  There is no sin or wrong in him, and every one of his standards and directions for resolving conflicts are fair and good.  His instructions for daily life can be depended on to produce the proper results. 

David’s efforts to serve God had made him a target for those who ignored and forgot the Law.  Despite the fact that they were more powerful and outnumbered him, considering him a minor nuisance, David had not given up on obeying God’s commands.  He believed God’s word was still true, and was clinging to them despite the problems that had resulted from his obedience.  He asked God to continue to give him better understanding, believing it would take away his discouragement. 


A great many people today seem to believe that if we serve God there will be no problems.   This is exactly contrary to scripture.   John 16:33 tells us, “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world,” while II Timothy 3;12 warns, Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.”  If we are Christians we will have problems in this world because Satan controls it, but as John 16:33 said, Christ has overcome the world.  It is like the song says, “If I never had a problem, I’d never know that He could solve them.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment