Thursday, October 6, 2016

More Valuable Than Silver Or Gold

Psalm 119:49-72

ZAIN

“Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.  This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.  I remembered thy judgments of old, O LORD; and have comforted myself.  Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law.

Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.  I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy law.  This I had, because I kept thy precepts.” (Psalm 119:49-56)

David had lived his life based on God’s promises.   At the worst times he had been able to remember those promises to survive his frustration and depression, and keep on living.  Proud people, who depended solely on themselves made fun of him for trusting God in his situation, encouraging them to try their way instead, but he had not yielded, even though he was terrified about what they might do to him.  By singing about God’s laws and commandments, he was reminded what God commanded and was able to stay on track, knowing that he had done as God said, and would be rewarded accordingly. 

It is exactly what Paul instructed the Christians to do in Ephesians 5:17-20.  Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.  And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”


CHETH

“Thou art my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep thy words.  I entreated thy favour with my whole heart: be merciful unto me according to thy word.  I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.  I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.  The bands of the wicked have robbed me: but I have not forgotten thy law.
At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments.  I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.  The earth, O LORD, is full of thy mercy: teach me thy statutes.” (Psalm 119:57-64)

David had committed himself to keep God’s commands, and whole heartily sought to please him.   He understood his service was not perfect and asked God for mercy where he had failed, constantly reviewing what he ahd done and making corrections where needed.  Though wicked people had taken what he had earned, he continued to serve God.  If he woke up at night, he intended to spend that time thanking God for his blessings, and by day he would seek the companionship of others who served the Lord.  He asked that God would continue to expand his understanding of His word and law. 


TETH

“Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O LORD, according unto thy word.

Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments.  Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word.  Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes.

“The proud have forged a lie against me: but I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart.  Their heart is as fat as grease; but I delight in thy law.  It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.  The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.” (Psalm 119:65-72)

God had kept his promises, blessing David just as he said.  He asks that God would continue to teach him how to apply God’s word.  Before he had had trials, he had had only a superficial understanding of What God said, sand had often disobeyed, simply not realizing the importance of doing things the way God said.  The experiences had taught him to follow exactly as God said, understanding that his commands were always for man’s good. 

People who were convinced they didn’t need God deliberately lied to destroy his reputation.   Having destroyed his reputation, they felt like they were better than everyone else, not understanding that their apparent success did not make them better, it just lowered the average to their level, just like what has happened with the constant attacks in the 2016 presidential campaign.   


David finally understood how much he had learned about God’s laws and principles as a result of the trials he had gone through.  The more he understood, the more he valued God’s word.   It was worth more to him than any amount of earthly riches or acclaim.  

No comments:

Post a Comment