Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Watch Out For The Dogs

I Peter 5:8-14

“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.” (I Peter 5:8-9)

In our neighborhood, there are a lot of dogs. People who pay no attention to them sometimes get bitten. People sometimes don’t go out walking because they fear the dogs. I learned that if I stuck a rock in my pocket before I went, I was prepared if a dog came after me, and my confidence was transmitted to the dogs. I don’t run when they bark. Simply pulling the rock from my pocket and preparing to throw stops all but the most aggressive ones, and a rock hitting the ground close to them stops the others.

The dogs are not more of a threat to others than to me, but because I am prepared, they leave me alone. Satan is the same way, preferring to attack those who aren’t prepared. When we are prepared, we can go about our business without fear, knowing he will not attack, even while others cower at home.

Romans 8:9 makes it clear that every Christian has the Holy spirit, and Galatians 5:16 promises, “Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” When we allow the Holy Spirit to control our minds, we have a rock in our pocket, and are prepared. The lion’s roars no longer frighten us. We have the power of God to resist. which instills confidence.

“But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.” (I Peter 5:10-11)

Many times we find we have placed confidence in something that doesn't work. Paul told Timothy, “But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;” in II Timothy 3:14. He had already warned of the dangers of false teachers deliberately misleading people. If we are to please God, it is critical that we be sure what the source of our actions is. There was a problem with fake letters purporting to come from the apostles according to I Thessalonians 2:2. Peter wanted to assure them this one was real by sending it in the hands of a known associate.

By Silvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I suppose, I have written briefly, exhorting, and testifying that this is the true grace of God wherein ye stand. The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son. Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.” (I Peter 5:12-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment