Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Jacob Agrees To Stay

Genesis 30:25-36

“And it came to pass, when Rachel had born Joseph, that Jacob said unto Laban, Send me away, that I may go unto mine own place, and to my country. Give me my wives and my children, for whom I have served thee, and let me go: for thou knowest my service which I have done thee.” (Genesis 30:25-26)

Jacob originally had gone to Padanaram to find a wife. After a month with his uncle he offered to work seven years as a dowry for Rachael. Tricked into taking her sister, he agreed to work another seven years to get the girl he wanted, then stayed another seven years. After twenty one years working for Laban, Jacob decided to go home and introduce his family to his parents.

“And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake. And he said, Appoint me thy wages, and I will give it.” (Genesis 30:27-28)

For twenty one years, Laban had had a top notch employee who was willing to work for almost nothing. He knew that much of the growth of his herds was attributable to God having blessed Jacob’s efforts. When informed of Jacobs decision to leave, he realized that he would lose a valuable employee, and the closeness to his grandchildren. In an effort to retain his services, he asked what Jacob would take to stay.

“And he said unto him, Thou knowest how I have served thee, and how thy cattle was with me. For it was little which thou hadst before I came, and it is now increased unto a multitude; and the LORD hath blessed thee since my coming: and now when shall I provide for mine own house also?” (Genesis 30:29-30)

Jacob, the “supplanter” couldn’t pass up an opportunity like that. The same natural instinct that led him to offer a bowl of lentils for Esau’s birthright inspired him to reconsider his decision. To up the probability, and make his proposal more palatable, he reminded Laban of how much benefit he had provided as an unpaid employee. He also stressed that as a result, he had nothing of his own to provide for Laban’s grandchildren.

“And he said, What shall I give thee? And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me any thing: if thou wilt do this thing for me, I will again feed and keep thy flock. I will pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats: and of such shall be my hire. So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.” (Genesis 30:31-33)

After years raising livestock, both Laban and Jacob had a working understanding of genetic principles, although they had not made a formal statements. Many times such practical understandings are more accurate than are those of people have had formal training. Farmers and ranchers are often in conflict with environmental groups because their understanding of natural relationships is so different than the understanding of the educated but inexperienced environmentalist. Their very life depends on maintaining an acceptable relationship.

Since livestock tend to produce offspring that has a similar appearance to their parents, Jacob asked to be allowed to separate out all the off colored cattle and sheep and retain only those of the solid colors. By separating the herds, with Laban and his sons taking the off colored ones, an elementary selective breeding program would be established, minimizing the births of off color cattle and sheep. Jacob would then receive the off colored ones as his wages. Eventually, of colored off spring should be eliminated.

“And Laban said, Behold, I would it might be according to thy word. And he removed that day the he goats that were ringstreaked and spotted, and all the she goats that were speckled and spotted, and every one that had some white in it, and all the brown among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons. And he set three days' journey betwixt himself and Jacob: and Jacob fed the rest of Laban's flocks.” (Genesis 30:34-36)

Laban was glad to accept the offer, having the same understanding. He could retain Jacob’s services with only minimal cost in livestock. He immediately separated all the livestock by color. Then, to make sure there was no possibility of crossbreeding, he separated the different herds by three days journey, Even those who escaped were unlikely to travel such a distance. If he was careful, and things went well. he could get Jacob’s work for almost nothing.

Laban’s father, Bethuel, had been most impressed by the gold Abraham’s servant presented when asking for Rebekah to marry Isaac. Both Laban and Rebekah learned his attitude about wealth, and connived to get ahead. Rebekah had directed Jacob in deceiving his father to obtain the blessing intended for Esau. Laban had connived to get fourteen years labor from Jacob, and instead got twenty one. Cheating has become a way of life, and family relationships will not stand in his way. Often family is the easiest to cheat because they want to trust, and depend on the relationship to protect them.

That Jacob learned and developed the same attitude from his mother was clear from his deception and taking advantage of Esau. That Rachael and Leah learned a similar attitude from Laban is apparent in their conniving to get Jacob’s attention. It is nearly impossible to distinguish how much of a person’s nature is genetic and how much was learned starting on the first day of his life. It will only be changed by powerful forces.

Had Jacob left then, some serious problems would have been avoided, but his interest in possessions kept him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment